DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Where do you draw the line racing with outside temps?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Where do you draw the line racing with outside temps?
 Login/Join
 
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Not sure if it's a myth or actual medically proven, but, my dumb butt traveled from the humid Midwest out to Vegas to visit buddy. There were many adult beverages consumed on first night. Wake up, get on dirt bikes and start ripping through the desert. Within half hour I was delirious, could not operate motorcycle, had I been alone probably would have died. Buddy, hauled butt to closest store and bought all Gatorade he could haul. Took me close to an hour of hydrating before I could get back on bike. Rode 15 minutes back to store, and sat in AC for at least an hour. That was 15 years ago and to this day, I have a hard time with the heat. Anything hotter than 90F, with humidity, and I'm not racing. It seems like that one bad episode changed how my body lacks the effort to handle the heat. Anyone else had this happen?
 
Posts: 58 | Location: st louis mo | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The ten signs of heat stroke:

(1) Extremely hot skin temperature.
(2) Dizziness / Fainting
(3) Extreme fatigue
(4) Nausea
(5) Vomiting
(6) Rapid heartbeat
(7) Mental confusion
(8) Seizures
(9) Lack of sweating
(10) Severe headache

When your core temperature reaches 105 degrees, stop what you are doing and seek immediate medical attention, this can be life threatening. Once you have experienced a heat stroke you are more likely to have it happen again, this can be a life long problem.

Bob
 
Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fasterat:
Not sure if it's a myth or actual medically proven, but, my dumb butt traveled from the humid Midwest out to Vegas to visit buddy. There were many adult beverages consumed on first night. Wake up, get on dirt bikes and start ripping through the desert. Within half hour I was delirious, could not operate motorcycle, had I been alone probably would have died. Buddy, hauled butt to closest store and bought all Gatorade he could haul. Took me close to an hour of hydrating before I could get back on bike. Rode 15 minutes back to store, and sat in AC for at least an hour. That was 15 years ago and to this day, I have a hard time with the heat. Anything hotter than 90F, with humidity, and I'm not racing. It seems like that one bad episode changed how my body lacks the effort to handle the heat. Anyone else had this happen?


Exactly what happen to me out Kart racing back in the day. It can get to the point that is proven by many with heat tolerance issues to last a lifetime. I will never forget that day of being that sick. Look at the prior post where he states is was 135-145* inside the car in staging
 
Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Bob, I almost joined the heat exhaustion group working in my yard yesterday.
 
Posts: 1413 | Location: Yarnell, AZ | Registered: August 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of CURTIS REED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Creed:
quote:
Originally posted by CURTIS REED:
I guess I will test my line this weekend. Going to Thunder Valley in Noble, Ok. First time I've raced there and it is supposed to be 101° Saturday. It's so Hot


72 with a light breeze


Scott it ended up being a great day that really wasn't to bad. The weather was much better than my driving.



____________________________
2017 and 2018 Osage Casinos Tulsa Raceway Park No-Box Champion

2018 Div4 Goodguys Hammer award winner
 
Posts: 2923 | Location: KIEFER, OK. | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Well it was 110 at our deal. Didn't really cool down till the sun went down. I tried my cool vest and it seemed to help a little.

As for my driving, I had a stellar .182 light after hitting the bump down button once to my opponent's .014 and dead 3. A genuine no driving SOB.


Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......
 
Posts: 5300 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CURTIS REED:
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Creed:
quote:
Originally posted by CURTIS REED:
I guess I will test my line this weekend. Going to Thunder Valley in Noble, Ok. First time I've raced there and it is supposed to be 101° Saturday. It's so Hot


72 with a light breeze


Scott it ended up being a great day that really wasn't to bad. The weather was much better than my driving.


I seriously considered quitting for rest of year on the way home I drove so bad.
 
Posts: 1108 | Location: OklahomaCity,OK | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Pro
Picture of CURTIS REED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Creed:
quote:
Originally posted by CURTIS REED:
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Creed:
quote:
Originally posted by CURTIS REED:
I guess I will test my line this weekend. Going to Thunder Valley in Noble, Ok. First time I've raced there and it is supposed to be 101° Saturday. It's so Hot


72 with a light breeze


Scott it ended up being a great day that really wasn't to bad. The weather was much better than my driving.


I seriously considered quitting for rest of year on the way home I drove so bad.


Ahahaha, I saw your round against Warren. That one had to hurt. I'll be back down there now that I have a better feel for how it's run.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CURTIS REED,



____________________________
2017 and 2018 Osage Casinos Tulsa Raceway Park No-Box Champion

2018 Div4 Goodguys Hammer award winner
 
Posts: 2923 | Location: KIEFER, OK. | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
90 degrees, 75% humidity. 28.8 barometer and added up to 4700' DA this weekend on the hill.

Didn't race Saturday due to chasing an ignition issue that has plagued me for weeks. Raced yesterday, giving it back by .002 in the 3rd round after wheeling my opponent before the 1000' cone. Super Angry

A long HOT weekend.
 
Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Hot and miserable yesterday but toughed it out to a runner-up finish. Took your tips and stayed hydrated, ate bananas and had a great day at the track.


72 Nova "Hooptie"
 
Posts: 738 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:
Hot and miserable yesterday but toughed it out to a runner-up finish. Took your tips and stayed hydrated, ate bananas and had a great day at the track.

Good job Tom, were you at Mason Dixon?
 
Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:
Hot and miserable yesterday but toughed it out to a runner-up finish. Took your tips and stayed hydrated, ate bananas and had a great day at the track.

Good job Tom, were you at Mason Dixon?


Yeah, was going to stay home but my buddy wouldn't let me, lol. Turned out to be a great day.


72 Nova "Hooptie"
 
Posts: 738 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have had heat stroke several times. Thus, I can't take it like I used to. And I work outside all day, every day, 6 days a week and that 7th day, if I'm in the A/C for more than a few minutes at a time, it makes for a rotton next day at work. I gotta be outside in it, humidity and all, or suffer the next day or two.

Local track shuts down all bracket racing from mid July through August. But that said, based on many factors, it looks to me like they don't care about bracket racing much at all anymore. So be it, I can (and will) race elsewhere.
 
Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
As I get older, the heat hurts me more than it used to. I am not going to let it keep me away, though. I am just going to make a greater effort to keep myself comfortable this summer. And I still hate too cold more than too hot. Smile Take care. Tom Worthington


If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.
 
Posts: 1230 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Not trying to hijack your thread-BUT MAKE SURE that you have blood pressure and diabetic supplies if used. Good Morning
 
Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
I wear a cool vest (type that you soak in cold water) and zip my firejacket up to keep the sun off of it.

As long as they don't call us to the lanes too far ahead, my vest is good for about a 1/2 hour.


I thought about trying a cool vest. The heat has always bothered me but as I get older and hit 50 it has really been an issue. One thing I have done is to get in better shape and lose weight this summer. Has helped a lot but even last weekend with temps in the 90's and humid weather it still started getting to me.

That is a cool autumn day for some of you guys down south lol. Dont know how you do it.
 
Posts: 1558 | Location: PA | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
I never missed or skipped a race because of heat, but for sure a African heat of South Fla can take the fun out of any race. Also, a hot day at the track always results in at least 2 days of a racer hangover.

At one point OSW and Palm Beach adopted a no points race summer. The rain that comes with the Fla summer heat typically has rain and rain ends a race most of the time. This always seemed like a intelligent practice as it gave us a few months to RR our race car. Unlike the yanks that have snow months for R&R , we can be racing year round in Fla. Both tracks now try and race during the summer and I laugh at the times it’s rained out and the waste of time and money because of that.



2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
1.058
2.98
4.629@149
6.094
7.310@185

 
Posts: 12149 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Ocotillo, California (San Diego, Ca. County) 124 degrees today. The old record high was 122 set two years ago.

That in any terms is too darn hot!

Bob
 
Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 6Volt
posted Hide Post
Could care less what the temp is. If hot or cold temps bother my opponents or they way their rides perform all the better. Consequently most of my better performances have occurred during the hottest months of the year.


Cody Harger
Charger Racing
 
Posts: 22 | Location: West Monroe, LA | Registered: January 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of CURTIS REED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6Volt:
Could care less what the temp is. If hot or cold temps bother my opponents or they way their rides perform all the better. Consequently most of my better performances have occurred during the hottest months of the year.


Cody, you're like 20 years old. LOL I bet your dad feels different about it. How is he doing by the way?

Curtis



____________________________
2017 and 2018 Osage Casinos Tulsa Raceway Park No-Box Champion

2018 Div4 Goodguys Hammer award winner
 
Posts: 2923 | Location: KIEFER, OK. | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5 6  
 

DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Where do you draw the line racing with outside temps?

© DragRaceResults.com 2024