DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Short oil filter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short oil filter
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted
I have about an 1/8" between my long Wix and my header. Can I safely run a short Wix? I currently run the non racing filter to get finer filtering. Would I need to run a racing short filter to help cover the flow loss by cutting filter volume? This a BBC running 10-30, shifting at 6400 and crossing at 68 to 7. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
Check out K&P, smaller than a short KN and easily cleaned and re-used.

https://kandpengineering.com/

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at remote filter? Nothing more than a plate , filter bracket and two hoses.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of excessive braker
posted Hide Post
I have run the WIX 51069 and 51069R for many years due to header clearance. I've never had any issues and I usually put 350-500 runs on a motor per season. I have never experienced any problems with running the shorter filter.

Posts: 71 | Location: Sliding at the cones | Registered: May 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Ron,

I have the same tight clearance, right near the bottom of the long Wix filter, (1.5 Qt, P/N 51794). I also use the non-race filter, for better filtration. I have not had any issues with that. I haven't noticed any significant increase in the oil temperature either, if that is your concern. I wouldn't use the setup for a street driven machine, but for the short time our engines are running, I don't think it presents any issues at all.
I do have to use a strap type filter wrench, and once i get it loosened by 1 turn, the filter just begins to touch the header tube, so I have to slide the strap off, or leave it on until the filter is removed.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the replies. Yes, my worry was the heat, I also have an Oberg sitting on the shelf from the 80's that lots of people said was junk, plus the short 51069 works! I for got about the Oberg. Thanks again

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I have header issues as well, have had to run the short passenger car filter.
BUT!!!
The NAPA Gold #7099 is even shorter than the standard filter, and I have no concerns running the NAPA Gold line filters.
10w30 and 6500 RPM's here too.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1661 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I believe the K&N 1011 is the shortest and what I run.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Application listing on the NAPA is one of the late model GM truck engine options.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1661 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I run a remote dual oil filter setup with the very large truck type filters like Fram 373 or Wix 51794. They are ran parallel and not in a series so there is large surface area, very little restriction and it filters all of the fine particles that a race filter passes through.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post