Bracket Talk
How to make your shifter work with the original bench seat?

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/5027066396

June 16, 2020, 11:02 AM
Footloose
How to make your shifter work with the original bench seat?
So I am sick of these plastic junky racing seats. Don't ride too good on a 2 hr trip. I will gain about another 100 lbs on the car. Should be around 3880 lbs. with driver. All steel and glass full interior. I need to build something up high enough in front of center of seat. Have pro stick with electric shifter and glide. I looked on class racer and no success. Need some pictures. I have always felt much safer with the bench seat for some reason.
June 16, 2020, 11:10 AM
Mike Rietow
Bench seats are nice, I had one in my Nova years I drove it to work every day.

All ya need is a piece of tubing with a flat plate on top. You could make it Rat Fink tall if ya want.

I wish I still had my bench seat around, it was back therapeutic nice.
June 16, 2020, 11:19 AM
Footloose
I was hoping you would chime in on this. The shifters are fine as long as you have no electronics behind them. How you gonna mount the pole? Weld a square base on it? I seen tons of pictures yrs ago. Mike I have had this Nova about 35 years. still complete except air.
June 16, 2020, 12:45 PM
HS professor
We just moved the shifter up off the floor in our new truck, made a tubular bracket. I'll get a pic when I get home.
June 16, 2020, 03:43 PM
excessive braker
PM sent. not sure how to post pics
June 17, 2020, 08:40 AM
HS professor

We just moved the shifter up about 8" and kicked it to the right, super rigid.
June 17, 2020, 09:07 AM
Footloose
HS thanks thats what I have in mind. Smile
June 19, 2020, 08:40 AM
Dave Koehler
In a galaxy far away and before buckets became the norm stick shift owners would have a notch cut in the seat.
The persnickety folks would have the upholstery guru finish it out so it looked like the factory made it that way.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.