DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    DIY crank trigger
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY crank trigger
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
My Hemi has a crank hub that has outer degree wheel pressed onto it. Thinking about buying the magnets used in crank trigger and mounting them in ring and then using trigger and my mounting system to build crank trigger setup.

Few reason before asked, One finding a wheel that will mount to blower hub is a maybe and cost 250,then buy trigger anyway and if buying kit unless its RBS made for TFX(stupid pricey) you have to modify or make mount anyway. Plus hanging more parts on wall that come in kits that I can not use.

Any reason that I am not seeing that it should not work same as bought unit with few made pieces that I have to do either way.? I mean if can adjust to needed set point and it holds trigger securely in place it should be good after that.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4405 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I did a bunch of work to convert my little NA SBF from distributor to crank trigger/coil on plug. 2 grand into it, took it to the track several times and found no ET, MPH or consistency. Mind you it's only, maybe 700hp so nothing real special there. I suppose if you're running on the edge it might find something. I put the distributor back in mine...simple and can find a spare part anywhere.

Posts: 131 | Location: Il,IL | Registered: March 22, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
ATI makes balancers with crank trigger magnets in the outer shell. Have you consulted them. If you just wanna make one i'm sure you can, but if i had to guess ATI will build somethign if they don't have it on the shelf.

Posts: 425 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Yea balancer in si future. So is being rich. I can adapt a wheel from another kit. Still going to have to make mounts or buy only one I have found and being only one it has only one price.

After more research I found out my currant degree wheel will not work because no place to machine for magnets at 90*. Hell Guess if making everything except trigger I can just machine a wheel,drill to fit blower hub and maching for magneta every90*.

I did check rotor movement to crank moverment looking for slop. After dozen checks I found about .005 with every degree of crank. Guess that pretty tight.

Crank trigger may not be a have to have since millions of laps made before anyone even heard of crank trigger. Being a tinkerer and love tuning more than anything other than maybe fabrication and building. I have Grid on the way after week of trying to decide which to do first. Hell I can just skip lunch for few more weeks,beside fata$$ loose few pounds car even quicker.LOL Mixed review on needing crank trigger and grid.Yes more a want than a need.

Will be working on some next week. Hopefully not bite me in ass like everything else I do in name of saving money. guess worst that can happen is bite me in a later round. Hell a round will be great to get after last years cluster fluck of crap. This year not sarting best with timing(life not car) issues.

Posts: 4405 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Ordered some aluminum material, magnets and crank trigger. all total should be around 225 buck on the car and ready to go.

Maybe I need to start a podcast for broke dyck racing. The why buy when yoy can build it yourself for same money and few dozen hours work.LOL