New
Find
Notify
Tools

Break-in Oil
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
How long do leave break-in oil in a new engine?

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I know racers that run break oil all season long.

That said, I have dumped the break in oil once dyno’d and I have keep it in for 25-30 passes which is my typical oil change interval. I’ve also ran engines that were not dyno, with Mobil 1 synthetic from day 1.

Do what your engine builder says and if that’s you, flip a coin and go with it.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I drain the oil I start the motor on after cam break in, change the filter and put the oil I want to run in.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
I run the oil that I intend to run in it, when it's new. Engines don't wear in, they wear out.

Posts: 622 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
10-25 runs

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1659 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have done my own stuff for a long time and can say this, using specific break in oil vs not doesn't seam to make a difference that I have noticed on the time slips or crank case vacuum. I will say this though, during the first start up after a freshen up or new motor, once it's up to operating temp, load the motor! This is what seats the rings. If you let it idle too much it can negatively effect the ring seat in process.

Unless your building a comp or PS motor and looking for every single HP, which BTW is way more involved with just break in oil, for us bracket folks, it's not a make or break deal.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Oil is cheap. I’d never make any power on the first oil fill, after the Eng has been apart. Put 2-3 good heat cycles on it and dump it and the filter. After that, run your normal oil at your normal interval

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post