DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    8.8 Ford rear gear question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

8.8 Ford rear gear question
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
So far, I do not see a high impact drag race gear listed for the 8.8 rear. I know the 8.8 is popular so it must not be an issue. If I were building a 12 bolt or a 9" I would install a high impact gear set.

Question, for a 2900 pound SBC bracket racer with Powerglide and trans brake leave and ET in the 6.30 1/8 range. Is the 8.8 OK with a conventional gear [most likely a 5.14 ratio]

If there is any doubt about the service life, I will not install an 8.8 - will do a 9" with high impact gear.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1835 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
only a guess larry ,with lots of passes a one year gear,less paaes more years

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
Larry, the 8.8 can be either 28 or 31 splines, I assume you're referring to the beefier one?

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 488 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Go with FRPP gear and the factory 31 spline axles. If you want to upgrade anything upgrade your to a quality diff or spool and a set of ARP wheel studs.

------------------------------------------
killer of MT82s
Converter Guy

Posts: 25 | Location: Deland | Registered: December 09, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
The 8.8 is basically a 12-bolt Chevy.
I get great service life from standard gear sets, just set it up very tight (.000" to .002") on backlash for track only use.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1674 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I've been using standard gears and 31 spline Strange axles in my car for years. 3400 pound car 1.26 60' running 5.80s in the 1/8th. Setup with Ford spec backlash without issue.

Posts: 72 | Location: Oostburg WI | Registered: October 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
A driver side steel cap upgrade, and brace cover are nice upgrades.

tomsdifferentials.com

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1674 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post