New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Build Vega
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Trying to decide on rear tires for my car. M/T 3074s or 3074 or hossiers 18245 stiff or 18250. The car weighs 2140. Small block chevy 4-link rear suspension. People that run this tire please chime in.. I would also like a air pressure to start with..Thanks

Posts: 25 | Location: Alpine AL | Registered: September 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have ran the Hoosier 18250 and won some races with them. Then I went to the MT 3074 and had really good results with them. Faster, more consistent over much wider temperature range and less tire shake. I have also ran the 3074S with good results. They are now on my 1740 Lbs Altered and I run 6.8 PSI according to my tire gauge.

Hands down the MT tire has worked much better for me.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The m/t 3074S is a much better tire than the Hoosier

Posts: 842 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We've run the 3074S on door cars for years with great success but the availability at times is horrible. Last year I changed over to the Hoosier 18235 on my Vega (2675lbs and goes 5.80s) and have been very happy with the tire.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 495 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I’ve used 3074S and 18245 on my 2850# car that presently has 18235 trying a shorter RO, all stiff wall. I think most under 2500# won’t benefit much from stiff wall.

MT and Hoosier are both good tires. When I’m on MT I’m doing longer BO. When I’m on Hoosier the BO is much shorter. MT gets soaped when I install and still leak at times. Hoosiers don’t leak. My present set of Hoosiers took less than 2 oz to balance. The last set of MT took 14 + 10 oz to balance.

Like was posted prior, MT 3074S can be hard to get at times during the summer. That’s why I tried the 18235 that is presently on my car.

I think 8 psi would be good to start.

Posts: 2610 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
Ive run the 3074S on my S10 since 2019. With the last 2 pair, I had some inconsistent 60' unless I do a very, very aggressive burnout.

I am considering switching to the MT 3373R after watching them in action at eddyville this past weekend on a friend's car.

Posts: 142 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine ran the Mickey and Hoosier bias tires being discussed here on his 5.70 SBC Vega, and that car became incredible after switching to a Hoosier radial.

We just made the same switch on my brother's Camaro, but haven't run it yet.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3202 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
that car became incredible after switching to a Hoosier radial

In door cars,I have seen few if any using radials in the 32x14 size when at tracks. Most I see are bias in this 32x14 size.

Radials are stiffer sidewall, slightly heavier and harder compound from what I read in the brochures. So what does one need to change/adjust in the chassis, air pressure settings when switching from bias to radial to make them work properly?? What if your door car leaves wheels down, how does that work with a radial??

Here’s a 3074S tire that’s perty amazing.

Posts: 2610 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post

60 foot moved 2 thou in 6 hits from daylight to dark when switching to 3074S

Posts: 842 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Here’s the 18235 that I replaced the 3074S with on my car last year, having a slightly shorter RO that I wanted to try. I just ordered 18245 today as I want to go back to a RO that’s even longer than the 3074S.

My point being…….. bias tires are excellent over a long day going from day to night. Show me these types of numbers in a radial.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
Here’s the 18235 that I replaced the 3074S with on my car last year, having a slightly shorter RO that I wanted to try. I just ordered 18245 today as I want to go back to a RO that’s even longer than the 3074S.

My point being…….. bias tires are excellent over a long day going from day to night. Show me these types of numbers in a radial.

I’ve seen Michael beard post some impressive m/t radial numbers, maybe he will come along and share

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve seen Michael beard post some impressive m/t radial numbers, maybe he will come along and share

Agreed, but would like to see results from racers using 13-14” wide radials.