DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    grid individual timing.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

grid individual timing.
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Wondering how many folks here using the individual timing feature on the grid? Also if used to make for equalized burn of fuel with injection. While can do with the nozzle seems if can get it to burn the same amount of fuel equally it should be more power. Maybe minor gain,plus I know other attempts at equalization that netted zero noticeable gain.

While not all agree with use of egt;s. I have the egt's and equal burn would mean the same temps with the same nozzle in a perfect world. O2 sensor will work too, not knocking them just not my choice of tools.Of Course, time slip is the final word in what it means regardless of how you monitor it.

Anyone tried or doing this?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4392 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Not sure what I am doing wrong, but anytime I try to pull timing from one cylinder with the grid, the grid pulls it from all cylinders. Yes I have the sensor on number one plug wire and the fiber optic cable.

Posts: 35 | Location: Gilmer, TX | Registered: October 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
I am a bracket racer not a class racer trying to set records. Just my opinion.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1410 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The op is not a bracket racer but RacerVX54…KNOWS!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
i do good to set mine at 36*. individual cylinder timing is above my pay grade.

ep

Posts: 776 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
do it with fuel,pulling timing will make egts go up in the cylinder.i dont think you will find anything on a time slip from either

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1453 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Wondering how many folks here using the individual timing feature on the grid? Also if used to make for equalized burn of fuel with injection. While can do with the nozzle seems if can get it to burn the same amount of fuel equally it should be more power. Maybe minor gain,plus I know other attempts at equalization that netted zero noticeable gain.

While not all agree with use of egt;s. I have the egt's and equal burn would mean the same temps with the same nozzle in a perfect world. O2 sensor will work too, not knocking them just not my choice of tools. Of Course, time slip is the final word in what it means regardless of how you monitor it.

Anyone tried or doing this?

I was told by a very well-respected nitrous tuner to just take or add .5 - 1 degrees per cylinder. You can chase your tail on this with no noticeably gains. Watch your plugs and EGT's.

In a naturally aspirated motor with MFI I would think nozzle jet staggering would be pretty coarse using .002 different size jets, unless there is a major difference in port flow cylinder to cylinder. JMO as I have never tried it.

Posts: 108 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: January 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
one thing we have found on A/Fuel car. With the tall scoop we were getting a swirl on the top end and pulling air from the rear cylinders instead of ramming air in them. them, Wondering if htr does the same thing.

The timing thing is just a trial thing. Agree temps might go up if burning out the exhaust pipe and also that the plugs are key. The time slip being final word if it even shows

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4392 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Here are my thoughts.....don't ever get real hung up on egt readings. If you want to micro manage cylinder to cylinder, you know what to do: Pull the plugs. I'm sure you are on alky, and you know how to ready alky plugs. EGT's can be affected greatly by their placement and the flow in the tube. You can pull timing in a hole and see your egt go up. But is that really what it needed? You may have a rich hole that is now reading same egt as the others just because you made it even more lazy.

I'm on efi, and as you can imagine, you can adjust for about everything. Even with reading plugs, the timing is about the LAST thing that I even touch. If your air distribution isn't good (been there), first try to fix the air distribution. Next, pull fuel from the rich cylinders until your plugs look good fuel wise. And double check your valve lash before going further. Then make minor changes to the timing if the strap really doesn't look consistent across all the plugs. You usually won't pick up horsepower from this in any noticeable way. You can find HP from evening up the cylinders fuel wise because you can push the entire tune a little closer to ideal without having a lean hole.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6435 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Bucky is right about timing and air distribution.
I have done a lot of dyno work and made a lot of passes with full data logger with O2's on Enderle hat injection. One of the things I learned was on the dyno we had all of the nozzles the same and a good tune up. On the track at high speed the rear cylinders were a little leaner because of air being forced ram air effect in rear cylinders. So I fattened rear cylinders up until all cylinders were equal. Zero noticeable ET change but I got a better tune up.

If you are fat you can get away with running more timing but it is not perfect tune up. Get the fuel right and do not worry about individual cylinder timing.

I do not see a need to micro manage the individual cylinder timing unless you have some sort of data proving that is what it needs. Even then do not expect much if any.

The preferred way is to get air flow same to all cylinders, Nozzles same on all cylinders and timing same. If you know you have air distribution problems fix that first instead of a band-aid solution. I considered making a plate inside hat and tunnel ram to even air flow.
On new motor I am working on the hat will be a little further forward so all cylinders get closer to equal air.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4183 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post