DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    converter fallback
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

converter fallback
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
My previous NA combo made peak HP power at 6,000 & 6,100 rpm & peak torque at 4,600 & 4,700 rpm. I don't remember where the fallback was, but the converter flashed between 5,900 - 6,000 rpm. I shifted the motor at 6,600 rpm. The car was consistent for bracket racing & was pretty fast also (relative).

While I hope to find a converter with similar characteristics with-in reason for my ProCharged combo. I'm pretty sure I need to loosen my converter for this combo, but I think I understand that it gets difficult to keep the slip in check down track with the supercharger.

My current converter is a 9" & working decently, but I think it can be better. The plan is to build another converter, I'm thinking a 9.5" unit; this will be discussed with Hughes transmission 1st.

IMO, the NA converter set-up was out of the ordinary for stall well above the torque peak & on the HP peak or darn near close. I really enjoyed racing that successful NA combo but there ain't no going back!

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2712 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
While I hope to find a converter with similar characteristics with-in reason for my ProCharged combo. I'm pretty sure I need to loosen my converter for this combo, but I think I understand that it gets difficult to keep the slip in check down track with the supercharger.

My current converter is a 9" & working decently, but I think it can be better. The plan is to build another converter, I'm thinking a 9.5" unit; this will be discussed with Hughes transmission 1st.

Perhaps consider a bolt together model if it’s in the budget. What an efficient way of fine tunning this piece of Voo-Doo.

Posts: 2623 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I believe for consistency you will be better off shifting at peak power or a little over it.

if your peak Torque is 5600 and peak power is at 6600 and you shift at 6200 you are not using everything you got and it will not be consistent. I believe weather changes will effect it more to.

On my 454 SBC peak power is 7400 RPM and I shift at 7600 and it falls back right where I want it to. When I shift lower it falls more out of power band and is not as consistent. That is more or less what you want the converter to do is help it stay in power band.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4206 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

Perhaps consider a bolt together model if it’s in the budget. What an efficient way of fine tunning this piece of Voo-Doo.

I've considered this & Hughes talked me out of it at that time. They really did a great job with reconfiguring the 9" NA converter for the ProCharged combo.

With no dyno time on the supercharged combo. I gave Hughes a wag at the torque/HP peaks & where I wanted the stall. They came up with a wag to my wag & was short 400 rpm of the 6,000 rpm. In my mind that was pretty good for wags.

Hopefully I will be getting a new converter this winter & will ask about the bolt together again. This time we have data logs to go off for the new one. The nice thing about us dealing with Hughes; they're within a 5-hr. drive, they deliver/pick-up at the track with support at Divisional & National events.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2712 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've considered this & Hughes talked me out of it at that time. They really did a great job with reconfiguring the 9" NA converter for the ProCharged combo.

With no dyno time on the supercharged combo. I gave Hughes a wag at the torque/HP peaks & where I wanted the stall. They came up with a wag to my wag & was short 400 rpm of the 6,000 rpm. In my mind that was pretty good for wags.

Hopefully I will be getting a new converter this winter & will ask about the bolt together again. This time we have data logs to go off for the new one. The nice thing about us dealing with Hughes; they're within a 5-hr. drive, they deliver/pick-up at the track with support at Divisional & National events.

Agreed on getting stall close, they wisely opted for the safe side to start. Having a converter builder close makes things easier.

My new converter (2019) was cut 2x to get what I wanted and has been excellent. I recently did a planetary change that affected flash stall and am on the fence about cutting this converter or having a new one built. ATD (Hipsters) is 15 minutes from me.

Posts: 2623 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post