DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Drag radial slick ??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drag radial slick ??
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted
Im running a M/T 28.0 / 9.0R 3354R tire on a 3400 pound Nova. Car runs 11.70 in good air 11.90 in the summer.
I have had the issue of the slick turning on the rim.
My wife drives this car primarily and as it has became quicker and quicker I have started to have fears of the tire deflating du to the tire movement on the rim.
I have tried some RTV between bead and rim but with no success.
I tried adding rim screws, and it did stop the rotation but the car has slowed .3.
I called M/T and was told the rim screws are a bad no no on the radial tires.

Has anyone else had issues like this?
If so how/what have you done to stop it?

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2056 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
What size wheel are you using?
What tire pressure?

A radial should not have screws, nor need them...

Posts: 142 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAD:
What tire pressure?

Running an 8" wide wheel 16 psi tire pressure.

Everyone I talk to says they will not spin. These tires over time have mad over one full rotation around.

Bruce Lee Cool

Posts: 2056 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by CAD:
What tire pressure?

Running an 8" wide wheel 16 psi tire pressure.

Everyone I talk to says they will not spin. These tires over time have mad over one full rotation around.

Something wrong with the wheels. Maybe if you rough up the bead seat and mount the tires dry?

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1771 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Wild that the car slowed .3 after adding rim screws. I haven't run screws in probably 15 years, but I did for at least 10 years before that, all with radials, and didn't have any issues at all.

16 is the lowest pressure I've ever run, but most of the time I've used 17-18 so I don't think low pressure is your issue.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3202 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I posted the below on CR, didn't realize you had posted it here.

We run the M/T PBRs 29.5x10.5 on a 9" wide rim. The car is a 3200 lb. Camaro runs high 5s 1/8th & high 8s 1/4 mile. They do move about 2"s over about 50 runs. We leave off a transbrake & 60' in the high 1.20's - low 1.30s.

IMO, you're not running enough pressure. We started around 18 lbs. & are at 20 lbs. now to help slow the slip.

Get rid of the rim screws, M/T is right!

I have double beadlock rims now but haven't been to the track on them. I'm going to lower the pressure back down around 18 lbs. again.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2698 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
glue the rim I use a gasket glue, Permatex High Tack . Do not use a silicon type that will slip .
I always clean rim before fitting/glueing . Inflate and let sit for a day or 2 .
They sometimes will move a little then take a set .
And try higher pressure though each car is different . Im @ 19 1/4 on 10"and 18 1/4 on 8"rims . 29.5x10.5 PBR and same with GY 30x9 radial . A mate reckoned he was @ 21 on 8 1/2"rim @ 3900lbs , Im @ 3780lbs

Tex

Posts: 71 | Location: Oz | Registered: March 16, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the great advice/tips. Wheels are going to get dismounted tomorrow and I'll clean up all of the goo before remounting with some of the high tack.

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
While this is a crappy picture. This is what could happen when you use rim screws with radial slicks & a good amount of power!

2BKING Eek

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2698 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue with 1 particular set of slicks years ago. The guy who mounted them had used a bead lubricant on them. He remounted them after cleaning everything up, and he applied a smear of Butyl Rubber to the bead / wheel mating surfaces. (The same stuff glass places use to seal windshields).
The tire slip problem was eliminated 100%, no movement the entire season. The next year, it took nearly destructive efforts to remove those tires.
So I would NOT recommend going that route.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1076 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
While this is a crappy picture. This is what could happen when you use rim screws with radial slicks & a good amount of power!

2BKING Eek

Yikes!

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
No screws, more pressure. I had the slippage broke them down and cleaned the wheel with acetone. Spray hairspray on the beads and inflate the tire.
If you put screws in and the tire moved you might be needing new tires if it tore the bead.

Posts: 1525 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
You can also take a center punch and dimple the bead seat surfaces to provide a little grip, kinda like knurling.

I've been running radials since 2001, they will move on the first few hits if you lubed them, then stick. I now use a weak cleaning liquid mix for mounting. My PBR's have moved about 2" in 100+ runs.
I always line up a mark to keep track.

15-18 p.s.i. on 8" rim. 3250#, 1.40 60'

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1771 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I've settled at 18 psi in my 28 x 9 radials on a 10" wide wheel.

The center of the tire still wears more quickly than the outer portions, but with less pressure I thought there was too much sidewall wrinkle at launch.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3202 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Just to add another question to the group here.
long as the rim screws do not tear up the bead, how are they any different from a beadlock wheel?

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
our 30x9 hoosier radial slips about 2 in. in 20 or so runs. they really never stop, so i just rotate them every 50 passes or so. 18 lbs. of air on a 6.25 1/8, 2900 lb. nova.

Posts: 105 | Location: goldsboro,nc | Registered: January 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by keyed up:
our 30x9 hoosier radial slips about 2 in. in 20 or so runs. they really never stop, so i just rotate them every 50 passes or so. 18 lbs. of air on a 6.25 1/8, 2900 lb. nova.

When you say you rotate them every 50 runs or so, do you mean rotate left to right or you break them down and rotate back to original balance position?

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

When you say you rotate them every 50 runs or so, do you mean rotate left to right or you break them down and rotate back to original balance position?

Bruce,

Your M/Ts should be directional, so you would have to break the beads & rotate them back to the original balance position. I never had to do that & they moved a good amount.

My Hoosiers are non-directional, so we moved them to the opposite side.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:
quote:

Bruce,

Your M/Ts should be directional, so you would have to break the beads & rotate them back to the original balance position. I never had to do that & they moved a good amount.

My Hoosiers are non-directional, so we moved them to the opposite side.

2BKING
Relaxing

Mr King, yea I know they are directional. I was curious if the fellow was simply breaking the bead and moving the tire back to its original balance position.
Most of the balance weights had fallen off from when they were first balanced and we couldn't feel any vibration, so I'm going to give them a spin weightless.

Bought a small can of Permatex High tack. I will be trying them out soon screwless.

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If anyone in your area does bead seat knurling that should stop your tire slippage.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 495 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post