DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Onan 4000 Issues
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Onan 4000 Issues
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Who had experience with troubleshooting an Onan 4000 Generator?? I need some assistance. PM me please, I would truly appreciate it.

Code 31....

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
There is NO code 31
You're probably not reading the fault code correctly

Push the rocker switch to STOP 3 times in succession. The control should recall the last fault shutdown....and start blinking 3-3-3-3

Once it does that push STOP one time and read the code.....Usually a series of 2 sets of blinks....such as 3-6 or 1-4 or 1-6

If you can't get it to recall the last fault code just start it and let it do it's thing.....and again it should start blinking 3-3-3's and repeating assuming it shuts down in a code or won't start at all....push stop once....to get the correct fault code shutdown.....

Posts: 2734 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Sorry typo. 36
Engine stopped fault code. I wrote it down as reading the blinks that way.

I can try it again.

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
PM sent...

Posts: 2734 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Rich, do you know where I can purchase a choke pull off for my 7000 Marquis Gold onan? I have had 2 of them fail over the years and they cost more than a carburetor. I resorted to a $40.00 chinese carb just to rob the part. It's working ok but for how long???
Thanks, David

Posts: 135 | Location: Marion, TX | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I keep a few on the shelf and any Onan dealer should be able to get you one.
Current part number is A043B658.....
$98 is the sticker price
Don't shoot the messenger
Onan parts prices are ridiculously high
That complete carb is now over $500 !!!
The choke pulloffs were not available separately in the past so I changed a lot of complete carbs.
I have a milk crate full and save them for spare parts
Rebuild kits are not available and they go bad inside.....floats fail!

Cummins owns Onan and the parts pricing has skyrocketed since Covid. Machine prices also up a lot....

Here is a good source for Onan parts online

https://www.partsfortechs.com/...o&products_id=248558

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCDIV1,

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I ordered one today. Amazon has that part number listed for 29.99 as a replacement for OEM so I guess it's a chinese made part. I got the one you suggested so maybe it will last.

Thanks again
David

Posts: 135 | Location: Marion, TX | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davidsracing:
Thanks. I ordered one today. Amazon has that part number listed for 29.99 as a replacement for OEM so I guess it's a chinese made part. I got the one you suggested so maybe it will last.

Thanks again
David

The heat gets to the diaphragm inside and pffft.....I've cut them open to see what fails....