Find
Notify
Tools

ring spacers
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Been reading up on ring spacer to allow for thinner rings with wider groove.Looks like good way to get few extra hp and add in they can be made to work like gas ported ring. Win win.

Wondering if anyone here has tried or presently running a set.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4427 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My only experience with them is in an older sbc stocker engine. I think it was a way around a rule. They did the job and that engine definitely rotated easier by hand than another identical ( as much as could be) engine did.

Posts: 512 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Pain in the a -s s . I run them in my bbc A car. CP pistons 5/64 5/64 3/16 - to total seal 1.0/1.0 3/16
Leaks 4-5% have to run a little more gap, spacer heats up. I’ve been asking NHRA to get small rings approved just run them in stock location.
It could really get the cost of stock eliminator down. My ring set is north of a grand.
Engine rotation loaded all eight pistons and crank seal 10-11 lbs..

California Screaming!
Raceless in California!

Posts: 4614 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
I agree, PITA, I would never run them unless the rules say "you have to run caveman 1950's big @zz ring groves"
Then again some people still listen to 8-tracks.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1308 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sr4440:

Then again some people still listen to 8-tracks.

Joe

I'm still looking for a good used 8 track player. My ABBA tape is still good...lol

jk

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3338 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
My ring set is north of a grand.

Eek Eek Eek

quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
Engine rotation loaded all eight pistons and crank seal 10-11 lbs..

Not worthy Wink

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1083 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Yea fter getting price for a set I have kind of canned idea. If rule thing maybe. Hell when rings cost more than pistons got to aske your self WTF. Ok maybe not more but damn near equal.
Will look at set of spacers for another use that does not need to be tricked out to max. Hell its not even bracket engine just old school street junk. Thin rings would be great for it since less drag got to be bigger when less power.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4427 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post