Find
Notify
Tools

Balancing Beads
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted
Came across these balancing beads you put in your tire that dynamically balance the tire as it spins.

Anyone use them?

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
Great for over the road trucks and tires larger than typical automotive that may be difficult to balance in conventional ways. I wouldn't use that as a first choice though....

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
For those of you that have used them. Do you know how much weight they put in each wheel. 22.5" 104 lb tire. Just curious so I can compare when the tire shop tells me what I need. Thanks

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I do not recommend them. Local shop put them in when I put a new set of tires on my pickup truck. Most of the time they do not shake but sometimes they do. Stick with wheel weights. It's the better option.

Posts: 97 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
For those of you that have used them. Do you know how much weight they put in each wheel. 22.5" 104 lb tire. Just curious so I can compare when the tire shop tells me what I need. Thanks

"Equal" brand is a 10 oz. bag

I have seen all kinds of things....some drivers swear by putting golf balls in their drive tires, then there are the Centramatics, and bags of beads, but nothing beats a road force spin balance.

Good quality medium truck tires on aluminum rims rarely need much balance weight. There are marks on the tire to align with the valve stem on an aluminum wheel, or a marking on the inside of a steel wheel to indicate the match spot.
We spin them for runout and imbalance conditions, proper mounting is critical on radial tires.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1661 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
I bought a bubble balancer and i was able yo balance the rear tires no problem.

But my front runners are too light to actuate the spring to sit flat on the balance. I tried to remove two of the springs but it wouldnt center up properly to get consistance and repeatable results.

So i was looking at the beads. I probably will juat take them somewhere to get spin balanced.

Thanks

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
When i was in the truck tire business. A lot of Semi's i sold to had the Balance rings on the vehicle. Never installed the beads. Great supplier on the rings was manufactured by Centramatic.
Normally on a unit with out the rings. I would just install a single bag whether it was a 22.5 or a standup 24.5.

Here is an informative video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDI3x2NxVlk

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I was in motorcycle business for 3 decades.

the beads do not work, never have. Not in motorcycles anyway.

when you take a bike tire off that had the beads in them, there are piles of rubber usually in dust form broken loose by those beads bouncing around at lower speeds.

Posts: 106 | Location: Il,IL | Registered: March 22, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I will look for a truck shop that can check runout and hopefully spin balance. Thanks Goob for the note that the tires are marked for valve stem location, I will see what I can find on the tires.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
Thanks guys. I will look for a truck shop that can check runout and hopefully spin balance. Thanks Goob for the note that the tires are marked for valve stem location, I will see what I can find on the tires.

Yellow dot lines up to the valve stem aluminum, Red dot lines up to mark in steel wheel.

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1661 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
We do spin balance all the wheels on a motorcoach, but normally never balance dual mounted rears.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I know this my be some what a thread drift. But in My former work in the OTR feet world , our biggest issue was humidity issues nd clumping up. The main problem was getting some of the media would get into the valve stem and clog up pressure gauge. We went back to spin balancing

Posts: 65 | Location: Horse Cave Ky | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post