DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    ATI Glide / Car rocking while in Park?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATI Glide / Car rocking while in Park?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted
Can someone help me find the Topic about this....Car is IN PARK, clicked in, give it throttle and car lurches forward...Thanks..

Posts: 255 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richie:
Can someone help me find the Topic about this....Car is IN PARK, clicked in, give it throttle and car lurches forward...Thanks..

Normal

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
Thanks for quick reply..it worries me how much it wants to move..wasn't there a problem w/ cases having internal leaks??

Posts: 255 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
No worry Sir, they all do it. It'll do it in neutral as well.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike, I know mine's always rocked alittle. The first start up was 3X as bad, but fired it back up all is fine. Paranoid I guess...thank you.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richie:
Thanks Mike, I know mine's always rocked alittle. The first start up was 3X as bad, but fired it back up all is fine. Paranoid I guess...thank you.

Anytime Sir.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
richie
if its an ATI case i know there has always been problems with park pawl and it has to come apart to fix. every ati case i have ran had this problem

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I would just double check the shifter cable. Mine never rolled too much when I cleared it out in neutral. Two runs after it started doing it, the shifter cable came apart. The car hasn't done it that bad in the years since I replaced the cable.

Posts: 66 | Location: Glen Burnie | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have 2 ATI glides (stock cases) & they both rock in park. I have a Hughes glide (Dedenbear) & don't notice it as much.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2552 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
2 ATI super cases transmissions ...1 currently in car,no park issues....1 complete trans spare......

Posts: 262 | Location: Fayetteville | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The phenomenon has zero to do with the brand, case or park pawl. It has to do with the static friction of the band and high gear clutches acting on the planetary to a tiny degree, in the same fashion it does in low and high gear going down the track, due to the drag (static friction) of the band and high gear clutches.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
Thanks All, it is a ATI case. It always rocked alittle but for some ? reason the first start up this season it moved enuff for me to hold the brake pedal..but went racing all was normal - never gave it another thought. Smile
Cable & shifter are fine, clicks right in Park.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
My buddy just had his ATI PG rebuilt last week. Put it in the car over the weekend and no park, just click, click, click down the driveway.

There is a fix for it, they sell a longer park paw (which was installed) but no help.

When we had this problem before on the same trans, the plunger that engages the park paw was not long enough. (part 991-4) We took one out of another trans that was .050 longer and it fixed the problem.

https://webshop.ganzeboom.net/powerglide

Why it does not work again is beyond me. He had someone else go through it this time.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:
My buddy just had his ATI PG rebuilt last week. Put it in the car over the weekend and no park, just click, click, click down the driveway.

There is a fix for it, they sell a longer park paw (which was installed) but no help.

He has a rubber wheel chock on a rope he can throw out if parked on a hill. Shake head

Experience will fix it. Take it to an experienced guy. Take the original GM pieces with you too, just in case.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

He has a rubber wheel chock on a rope he can throw out if parked on a hill. Shake head

Experience will fix it. Take it to an experienced guy. Take the original GM pieces with you too, just in case.

I corrected the above. He didn't have time to mess with it so he took it to a professional to go through it. The guy who rebuilt it said he may have put the park paw spring in backwards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TomR,

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Experience will fix it. Take it to an experienced guy.

obviously not you!!
this is a common problem with the ati case and their park pawl...you must use the reid case if you dont have experience with this

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

I corrected the above. He didn't have time to mess with it so he took it to a professional.

Take it back to him, tell em he forgot to check the depth of the pawl in the carrier, in park. Fairly common to overlook I'd imagine. He'll have to grind on the pawl most likely.

He'll know what to do, take the original GM pieces too, just in case.

It's not a catastrophe, it's a hassle I get it, but it's not a catastrophe.

DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Park engagement on mine was simply the shifter cable did not engage park fully if adjusted to be in the right location in low and second. I moved the cable in the shifter bracket to a hole closer to the center of the shaft and it works correctly now. Really, about 1/2 hole closer to the shaft is needed. It just needs a little more travel. This is with a quarter stick.

Edit: Topic changed from rocking to park not engaging. My ATI trans has always rocked in park when revving engine. Feels like it's pulling in low gear some while park is engaged. Never caused a problem but just feels a little strange.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Brktracer,

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
BTE supposedly makes a pawl to fix the same issue with their cases. Ive been told this will fix the issues with the ati case as well.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It could be slop lever to rooster, you can also oblong the holes in the guide, which bolts to the case. I'd not do that to compensate for slop though. I'd fix the slop first, check for pawl engagement.

If that didn't cure it, I'd move the guide closer to the center of the case by oblong the holes in the guide, and or grind on it if there's any interference.