DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    First time ever breaking a cam
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First time ever breaking a cam
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Did a burnout and went to pre stage when car just killed and would not fire. Checked distributor and wasn't turning, pulled it checked cam gear and wasn't turning, pulled valve covers and all vales were opening and closing except the 2 rear cylinders on each side, so there was the problem. Now I have never had a cam break before, I'm assuming possibly the oil pump may have froze (haven't checked it yet) and was the cause but not 100% sure yet. I don't think any valves were hurt being that they are all in the up position but until I do a leakdown test I really wont know for sure. Car was at idle when it broke.
Has anyone ever went through this and have any pointers before I go tearing into it.

Posts: 248 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
A few year back there was bad run of BBC roller cams that were braking. Don't remember the brand.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 259 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
This one is a Comp Cam from 2021. Has less than 100 total runs on it and 95% are 1/8 mile.

Posts: 248 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
It's important to carefully look at everything as you take it apart. There are many ways and places a cam can break so put on your Insector's cap and don't be in a rush. I broke one (Crane) just behind the last lobe (Thankfully) so there wasn't any further damage.

Here comes my hardware rant

One of the things I've petitioned cam manufacturers for decades is to increase the size/strength of the timing sprocket hardware from 1/4-20 to minimally 1/4-28, or 3/8-24 with the larger (50mm or 60mm) cam cores. With the increase in spring pressures and RPM levels it makes sense to increase the strength of the cam sprocket hardware.

When a throttle stop hits, then goes off the cam is torqued/twisted back and forth and making any weak point subject to failure, that starts with the hardware (1/4-20 bolts). These days we are running far stronger valve spring pressures, greater lifts and higher RPM levels, shearing the cam bolts and the pin is not uncommon.

Off my rant:

Bob

Posts: 3155 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
One last "Mini" ramp:

If any debris passes through the oil pick up screen more than likely it will jam/seize the oil pump gears. Normally when the intermediate shaft shears, it usually breaks the cam behind the last lobe. Because this caused the cam to break, take the oil pump apart and if it did seize, replace both the pump and the intermediate shaft.

Bob

Posts: 3155 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
One last "Mini" ramp:

If any debris passes through the oil pick up screen more than likely it will jam/seize the oil pump gears. Normally when the intermediate shaft shears, it usually breaks the cam behind the last lobe. Because this caused the cam to break, take the oil pump apart and if it did seize, replace both the pump and the intermediate shaft.

Bob

Given that both intake and exhaust valves in the back to cylinders are up and not moving I am assuming it is broke in the rear lobe area. This is what's making me thing that the pump is broken.

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Small base circle cam?

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1771 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Had a friend do it a couple of years ago, Comp roller SBC. Just broke the back of the cam, no other problems found.

Posts: 1525 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Anyone know if there was a bad run on Comp Cams and if so when It may have been?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinChicken:
Anyone know if there was a bad run on Comp Cams and if so when It may have been?

Yes there was. They all had a "black" core and were made from inferior material imo.

Posts: 127 | Location: Over here | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jonesz:
quote:

Yes there was. They all had a "black" core and were made from inferior material imo.

What manufacturer? and how can you identify the cams with issues?

DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
Found out it was a comp cam, And it was a bad batch on the cores.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 259 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
Were these some of their junk hardened cast cores or just not well hardened steel cores?

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 491 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1leg:

What year was the cam manufactured? Wondering If this is an issue I have.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

2020 time frame for me

Posts: 127 | Location: Over here | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

2020 time frame for me

What did they do to remedy the situation?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
absolutely nothing. said prob should be using the 8620 billet core in my application.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Anyone have any recommendations on a good cam company besides Comp Cams?

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
absolutely nothing. said prob should be using the 8620 billet core in my application.

yea they don't stand behind it even if there is a known manufacturing issue, that's what sucks.

We have had good success with Herbert Cams and Isky.

Posts: 611 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hide Post
Anyone have any recommendations on a good cam company besides Comp Cams?

Bullet Cams.

Bob