DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    LS based engines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LS based engines
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I'm not real familiar with the LS based engines but am considering looking for a 4th generation Camaro to build into a Footbrake car. Are there any models or year Camaro that are better than others or certain models or engines that I should shy away from? Most of the used street Camaros for sale in my area are six cylinders, so how easy is it to put either a LS based V8 or a traditional V8 SBC into one?

Posts: 21 | Location: york haven,pa | Registered: December 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have a 1996 Lt1 Camaro. I have it to foot brake race. I have trouble getting someone to tune the computer as I want to stay fuel injected. I would buy a 1998-2002 Ls1 if I wanted to stay street driven and fuel injection if I was you. My opinion= carbed and traditional small block= 1993-1997. Anything LS=1998 and up. I would also look at the fifth gen if wanting to build more of a race car as a clean LS 4th gen seem very expensive in my mind.

Posts: 102 | Location: Work | Registered: April 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Certainly do an LS engine, stay-away from the LT1!

You can get a new Holley ECM to do the engine and trans control, that way you won't have to worry about what the stock ECM is trying to do, you will be in full control!

You could also get HP Tuners or similar software and do your own tuning.

I still race my 1988 Firebird, still fuel injected, but nothing left of the stock GM EFI to be found in that car.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post