New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car Burnout
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Anybody have problems with car going sideways in the water burnout. The rear of the car goes to the right. The car is perfect down the track. No pulling issure down track. Help Help

Posts: 25 | Location: Alpine AL | Registered: September 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
What's your chassis setup?
Tires?
Short answer is you probably need a touch of preload on the right rear.
The left rear is always loaded first by application of power.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1816 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If the car is driving straight down track I'd be looking at small ruts in the water box throwing the car to the right or have someone stop you just before that transition from Bare concrete to rubber.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 500 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
car has a four link suspension system. It weigh 2140. the rear tires have been changed twice. 14x32 hoosiers. Help Help needs replys.

Posts: 25 | Location: Alpine AL | Registered: September 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
sometimes one front brake can roll a little and cause it

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1460 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
Same results in both lanes? Different tracks, has this been an ongoing problem for you everywhere you race?

Posts: 241 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Same results both lanes. Same thing different Tracks...

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
Does it lift the front wheels on the launch?

Posts: 406 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FastLane:
Does it lift the front wheels on the launch?

That is a good question, most every car will go straight with front wheels on the ground. When you start carrying wheels up a ways out then it has to be right. I like to raise wheelie bars and let it come up some and adjust preload until it goes perfectly straight with wheels up then start limiting wheelies.
Sometimes when it pulls hard in the burn out box you may have corner weights off. Or like Rusty said could be brakes.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4241 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What is your target RPM in the burn out?

Posts: 429 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I start in 1st and bump into 2nd very quick. 6500 t0 7000 the target...

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
What's your chassis setup?
Tires?
Short answer is you probably need a touch of preload on the right rear.
The left rear is always loaded first by application of power.

^^^^ This

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1230 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Anybody think burning out in 2nd gear will help.Everybody must remember the right rear of the car is going to the right... I can add preload but its already going right on the rear. help help..open for any suggestion.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
It’s going right because the left is pushing the rear end to the right. More preload to the right will even it out more.

And yes, I suggest a 2nd gear burn out. But it won’t fix this issue.

Posts: 406 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
This car being a 4 link, I’d first check the rear for being square in the car. On a level surface, put the car on jack stands, neutral the 4 bars and plumb bob it to the floor and measure. Check / set the pinion angle at the same time.

I’ve never started a burnout in anything but high gear. First gear is for driving in the pits and leaving the starting line imho.

Posts: 2645 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Have yhou checked rollout latgely. I checked mine while back and was good. Started walking sideways on burn out, Was fun and scafed hell out of few standing too close. " difference. I dropped largest on to no air and pumped short one yo to about 40 and left them for few day. Rechecked them at 7.5 and dead nuts equal. Now when get homw I jack car up and pull vlavle stems oput and let sit till day before heading out. Extra work but hell racing not for the lazy.

Would be quick simple check and if nothing else remove it from chance of being problem.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4466 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Start the burnout in high gear..Wheelspeed will straighten the car right out.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 1023 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone. I am going to add preload to the right rear and start the burnouts in 2nd gear. I am also going to check the pressure on both front brakes. Thanks again to everyone for your replies.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
When you have issues like car going sideways in the box or going left or right with wheels up you often have a problem with chassis. Could be a number of things.

I have seen cars that the 4 link or rear tires were offset to the side a little. If your rear tires are not centered even 1/2 inch or less it will drive the car opposite direction.

I would scale your car and see what you have got. If you have too much weight on one of the drive tires that tire will push harder and steer car.

Then the rear end needs to be straight in the car not just centered. It needs to point straight forward. If it is pointed to the right then the rear is going to the right.

Jack up the car, use plumb bobs and chalk lines and verify the rear end is straight and centered. Fix it then scale it.

There are some other things it could be but less and less likely. Could be a broken shock, bad hiem joint or rod end, could be bent wish bone / track locator, could be twisted frame, broken or weak spring.

I would start by verifying that the chassis is straight and centered. Then go down the list checking it all out. If the rear end has moved find out why? Damaged rod end or the hole on the mount? Loose jam nut and moving?

Also one thing to consider is there is a few tracks that have a camber in the burnout box so many of the cars do same thing. Effects door cars more because they sit there and burn out more than just roll through and hit it.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4241 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post