Find
Notify
Tools

Parachute again
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted
I need to buy another parachute and could not find the old thread on them. What chute do you like? What one is easiest to pack?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4026 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I have Stroud chutes with the internal chute bag. Pretty easy to pack and opens every time. It has a pilot chute which takes 2 people. I would love to convert to a air launcher at some point to get rid of the pilot chute, I pull the chute most every run so it would make life much easier

Posts: 2433 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Making life easier is why I have two chutes and quick swap setup .If time to repack fine if not I can swap out whole deal with one bolt and cpl quick pins.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4193 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
Anything with a spring pilot will be more difficult to pack.

I switched from a standard Simpson crossform to a Jerry Bickel/Simpson spring launcher. Can pack it by myself in less than 5 minutes. Very easy to use and lighter and less bulky than the Stroud 430.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I have the Stroud with a pilot chute, no issues packing them by myself. I like the deployment bag, makes packing them really easy and quick...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1472 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
Stroud with pilot chute here. No reason you can't pack that thing by yourself in a few minutes

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I think I started that thread a ways back.i originally had the impacts but the black bags would turn chocolate brown from the sun after a season or so.
then I got the simpson skyjackers because they where a good price but they where extremely difficult to pack.
I ended up down to white safety or stroud and ended up going with weight safety because they are a bit lighter.they have been great,easy to pack and the bags don't discolor because of the sun...the only problem I see is the pilots wear out pretty quick.
the strouds im sure are good tommy Cunningham just bought them out

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Stroud seems to be the easiest to pack to me. I have air launchers on my car but the dragster has a spring pilot and other than the typcal wrestling match with the pilot chute its not bad. Plenty of room in the bag. I have used Simpsom, and White and prefer the Stroud stuff

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Stroud on both our cars.
My wife packs them by herself (3 chutes, 2 on my car, 1 on hers) while I'm down loading computers, etc.

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
white safety with launcer bag.not sure if his buisiness will stay open now.

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have the Stroud bag. I pulled it for the first time in a few years the other day. First thing I noticed is how much more effective it is at 190 than it is at 165. I hadn't packed one in a good while. My wife and I got it packed in a couple minutes though. I think one of us could do it by ourselves, but stringing the laces is nice with an extra set of hands.
Oh, also the wing which is new for me this year not only makes the big end way nicer, but it's also a nice place to wrap up the chute at the turnoff.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6410 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2433 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I have the Stroud bag. I pulled it for the first time in a few years the other day. First thing I noticed is how much more effective it is at 190 than it is at 165. I hadn't packed one in a good while. My wife and I got it packed in a couple minutes though. I think one of us could do it by ourselves, but stringing the laces is nice with an extra set of hands.
Oh, also the wing which is new for me this year not only makes the big end way nicer, but it's also a nice place to wrap up the chute at the turnoff.

I knew you would like the wing. When they are right size they make a huge difference.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4026 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
It's totally flat neutral the way I'm running it right now. At least something is going right this season!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6410 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
white safety is the lightest and easiest to use that I have found

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1520 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Launcher, no pilot.

If you use the chute a lot save yourself the grief and buy a launcher, it's a simple one man operation while you are eating that ham sandwich.

Posts: 3085 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Can I add launcher later?

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Do the launchers use air? A lot of air?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
I have a little compressor but don’t notice it kicking on so I don’t think thy use much air. Yea you can make them air launchers later, I bought the rams, pressure dump, and air launcher D-bag and made my own....easier than packing a traditional spring pilot.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 313 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post