DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Screwing tires to rim?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Screwing tires to rim?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
After racing dragsters and altereds for the past 35+ years, always with beadlock rims. I've built my retirement toy, an S-10 bracket truck. 383ci, small tire, PG and 10.50 x 28 x15w M/T's. with a suspected 550hp engine my question is should I screw the tires to the wheel? (did I ask that correctly?).

Posts: 701 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
No

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Only if you want to ruin a good set of wheels...

Posts: 2516 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Why not index your tire to the rim with a stripe of paint and check for movement.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2355 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If they're moving on the rim, sure why not? If it's done right, it keeps the bead of the tire from turning on the rim.

You could use glue too, heads up radial tire racers use it, but they also change tires every 15-20 laps too, at least the serious about it, do.

So, if you use glue, ya might have to re-prep with glue a couple times per set. Maybe not though, mark the bead and tire, the mark will guide you through the valley of darkness. Smile

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Most don't use screws just mark them after mounting. I had one set of MT 29.5x 10.5w's move I broke the bead cleaned it and sprayed hairspray on the bead and they never moved after that. Of course tubes would change that, I don't run tubes.

Posts: 1527 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
My dragster went sub 1.10 60 foot times with no screws and tires never moved.

I did drill the rims and put screws in but eventually had the same rims bead locked....

Posts: 2734 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did drill the rims and put screws in...

Would be interested to know how many screws per wheel and did it impact your reaction time?

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2355 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Can't recall exactly how many screws, but I'd guess 8-10 per side

No, screws had no affect on RT's

And neither did bead locks, nothing scientific there, just my impression from runs before and after...

Only reason I put screws in was from seeing tires come off rims a few times in picture posts and seeing still pictures of burnouts....

It would never have happened with the various tires I ran previously.....GoodYear 2032's Hoosier 18700's M/T 3183's

Bead locks were so I could safely run Little Bubbas......3191W's....

One big negative of beadlocks is trying to put them back on the car by myself.....The beadlock rings make it very difficult.....I use a floor jack......

Posts: 2734 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
No screws

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1412 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Ain’t ever screwed my tire to the rims on any of my cars for 30 years. Been 1.04 60 foot with my dragster, 1.17 60 foot with my 3200 lb. Firebird and 1.28 60 foot with my 3900 lb. Chevelle and none of the tires were screwed to the rim.

Only reason I now run bead looks is the wheels we run are only available with bead locks and they suck to mount especially the Delta wheels.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
On my S10, low horsepower deal, runs 6.40s-.50s.60' only 1.40s. Started with no screws but the tires were moving about 3" per weekend. Tried some sticky stuff the tire shop had a few weeks later, tires moved the same amount. Didn't worry too much but it makes the balancing way off after a couple weeks.
I now have 10 screws per side, took my time threading them into the wheel and have changed tires once so far. End of the balancing problem.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1226 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Same here, would move 2" Weld Magnums 2.0's. 16 per side. HT cars are just hard on everything.

Dentures included... lol

Posts: 1412 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
have used screws in my welds for 18 years same wheel -no problem just take your time but seal them with a little black silicon no air leaks in my M/T 3074S tires stayed at pressure all weekend 2-day race13 passes took it to the finals didnt even check the air after 5th round sunday ED
you havent screwed anything in years or ya would not be such a D-I-C-K

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 426 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you have threads in the wheel you did it wrong!

Posts: 945 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have had the exact same experience as Toad1.

Posts: 87 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Stop using soapy water/mounting solution on your tires and wheels to mount them and your slicks won’t move after a few hits

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've done all 3. 15 inch wheels no screws & screws (bias and radial) 3200 lbs 5.50's, 16" wheels no screws, screws, and bead locks 4.45 2100 lbs.

Other than balancing problems who cares if the tire moves on the rim. I've marked a set of drag radials on the door car watched them move 3" in 8 passes, never had an issue. On the dragster raced it for 10+ years ET anywhere from 4.80 to 4.30 NA and Blown. Yep the tire moved on the rim, never had an issue where the balance moved and caused issues over time. Consistency has never been an issue either.

Posts: 425 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I bought my car with the tires screwed on...5 inside and 5 outside...I run MT 3074S...a dab of silicone on each screw...no problems...I lose about 3-4 lbs. of air a month if the car sits...I ran MT PBR's with no screws for a while and my short times did not change much, if at all...my car weighs 3200 with me in it and runs 1.41 shorts...I race with 12.3 lbs. of pressure...

Posts: 1279 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Only used screws with tubes back in the day. Switched to Hoosiers and have never run screws since then. Mount them dry and they move about an inch or so the first run before they lock in.

I did have some wheels powder coated and the tires slipped a bunch on them. I had to clean and rough up the powder coat finish in the bead to lock the tire in.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 777 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post