DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    16 Volt Battery Life
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

16 Volt Battery Life
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
With all the other 16 Volt discussions here, it got me wondering how frequently people replace their 16 volt battery. I have a XS D1600 and this was the 3rd season on it. Should I be replacing it this winter?

Posts: 97 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
I am lucky to get 3 seasons out of an XS. I have an alternator, and it stays on a maintainer most of the time.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I have an alternator and use no maintainers but charge at least once a month if they sit that long. Always on chargers between rounds. 3 years is the normal when not letting them get low leaving something on overnight.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I have gone 4 years but normally just cycle them out as maintenance item after 3 seasons.
I keep mine on the maintainer/charger 24/7 unless it is in the trailer and not able to

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
3 seaons here. I used to change out every 2 but if you keep them charged, you can go 3 without issue.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Everu mow and then I get a wild hair to switch to 16v. But I don't really have a big reason to other than hearing that engine crank nicely. Smaller lower compression engine is pretty easy to start.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Currently at 4 years on my XS 16 volt battery but I keep it on the their Intel-charger 7/24 at 5 amps. There isn't a alternator I can't fit one on the front of the engine there simply isn't enough space since adding a vacuum pump. I never let it run down without charging it after a run. This car is run at a 1/8th mile track so the run and the drive back is short, it's never towed.

I considered a lightweight 16 volt lithium battery but the expense of the battery and the charger outweighed any advantage.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have had 4 of the XS Power 16 volt batteries. All new on two different cars with less than impressive results on both.
Fist car was my Front engine dragster, I went with 16 volt when I built the car new. That motor had a 70 amp mini alternator on it and mechanical fuel injection. First battery started going dead real quick after about 6 months. A few months later they finally replaced it with a new one under warranty. The replacement worked pretty good until one night I had my tune up a little off and car did not want to start up good. Battery went dead in Semi Final costing me a race. I sold that car and soon after that 16 volt battery died and had to be replaced, they did take the alternator off which I am sure did not help. Maybe 2 years on that battery?
Next car the Outlaw Altered, brand new XS Power battery and it would spin over like crazy but go dead quickly. New battery and it was some what better. Problem with the Outlaw Altered is there is absolutely no place to put an alternator on the car. So last week I put 2 of the 16 volt batteries up front and hopefully that will resolve any future issues. This car does not need the weight penalty but you definitely lose if car wont start. I know I would not spend $1200 again on two 16 volt batteries and charger.
Both cars were new and wiring was good with no issues there.
When a 16 volt battery is down around 14 volts you would think it is still better than a 12 volt battery but that is not the case. When it is say 14 volts or less it will not start the car.

So I think the 16 volt battery spins over say 20% faster but it also goes dead faster and not sure that is a good trade off for all of us. I suspect the Lithium batteries are worse so I probably will not be trying them. Total starting power or energy is about same so it comes down to do you want more starts or spin it over faster? For me none of the 16 volt batteries have lasted as long as good 12 volt batteries. I have had 2 of the four 16 volt batteries start acting up in about 6 months and one die after about 2 years. That does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling about the other two although they are still working good now.

12 volt system. In my old altered it had a Optima Red top as that was on the car when I bought it. I ran it for about 5 years and it was still good. I simply changed it out with a new one because I felt I had got my moneys worth out of it. I think 6 or 7 years later it is still working great in the trailer running trailer jack and radio etc in it. While people talk about the Red top Optimas as junk I have had really good results with them. In fact when I got that car it had one of those wimpy Shogun alternators that puts out maybe 20 amps. I did some testing in Texas heat was over 100* that day made 14 passes and had water pump and fan running most of the day to keep it cool. Had electric fuel pump at that time and 12 volt optima. I was running most everything electrical to test and see how long it would last and did not charge at the track. Did not want to get to Final or something and not start so find out what it will do in testing.

My new Straight Shooter altered I went with 12 volt system and on the Outlaw Altered when it comes time to replace the 16 volt batteries I may go back to 12 volt system. Will decide when that time comes. Point is the 16 volt battery is different but not sure it is any better. I do not care about the money, I want performance and for it to start every time. I also do not mind spending money if it gets better results.

What ever system you run I would always keep a battery maintainer on it at home and run an alternator if you possibly can.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I think I've had mine for four or five years now....never an issue. Biggest thing is like any other battery regardless of voltage, KEEP IT CHARGED! Mine stays on the maintainer when the car isn't running or at the track...since I'm rebuilding right now, it's on the maintainer....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I have had 4 of the XS Power 16 volt batteries. All new on two different cars with less than impressive results on both.
Fist car was my Front engine dragster, I went with 16 volt when I built the car new. That motor had a 70 amp mini alternator on it and mechanical fuel injection. First battery started going dead real quick after about 6 months. A few months later they finally replaced it with a new one under warranty. The replacement worked pretty good until one night I had my tune up a little off and car did not want to start up good. Battery went dead in Semi Final costing me a race. I sold that car and soon after that 16 volt battery died and had to be replaced, they did take the alternator off which I am sure did not help. Maybe 2 years on that battery?
Next car the Outlaw Altered, brand new XS Power battery and it would spin over like crazy but go dead quickly. New battery and it was some what better. Problem with the Outlaw Altered is there is absolutely no place to put an alternator on the car. So last week I put 2 of the 16 volt batteries up front and hopefully that will resolve any future issues. This car does not need the weight penalty but you definitely lose if car wont start. I know I would not spend $1200 again on two 16 volt batteries and charger.
Both cars were new and wiring was good with no issues there.
When a 16 volt battery is down around 14 volts you would think it is still better than a 12 volt battery but that is not the case. When it is say 14 volts or less it will not start the car.

So I think the 16 volt battery spins over say 20% faster but it also goes dead faster and not sure that is a good trade off for all of us. I suspect the Lithium batteries are worse so I probably will not be trying them. Total starting power or energy is about same so it comes down to do you want more starts or spin it over faster? For me none of the 16 volt batteries have lasted as long as good 12 volt batteries. I have had 2 of the four 16 volt batteries start acting up in about 6 months and one die after about 2 years. That does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling about the other two although they are still working good now.

12 volt system. In my old altered it had a Optima Red top as that was on the car when I bought it. I ran it for about 5 years and it was still good. I simply changed it out with a new one because I felt I had got my moneys worth out of it. I think 6 or 7 years later it is still working great in the trailer running trailer jack and radio etc in it. While people talk about the Red top Optimas as junk I have had really good results with them. In fact when I got that car it had one of those wimpy Shogun alternators that puts out maybe 20 amps. I did some testing in Texas heat was over 100* that day made 14 passes and had water pump and fan running most of the day to keep it cool. Had electric fuel pump at that time and 12 volt optima. I was running most everything electrical to test and see how long it would last and did not charge at the track. Did not want to get to Final or something and not start so find out what it will do in testing.

My new Straight Shooter altered I went with 12 volt system and on the Outlaw Altered when it comes time to replace the 16 volt batteries I may go back to 12 volt system. Will decide when that time comes. Point is the 16 volt battery is different but not sure it is any better. I do not care about the money, I want performance and for it to start every time. I also do not mind spending money if it gets better results.

What ever system you run I would always keep a battery maintainer on it at home and run an alternator if you possibly can.

I really don't know why you have issues while many of us have been using them for years without issue. I started using a D1600 battery over 10 years ago and never had an issue. I also used the lighter S1600 for a couple years while running Top D. I was also only using a Ultra mini 50amp alternator, double entered with electric fuel pump, water and fan on going down the track. I put the charger on after every run even if it's only for a few minutes.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post