New
Find
Notify
Tools

Front Struts
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Anyone know what it costs to get struts rebuilt? The adjusters don't even turn on these. I'm assuming something is stripped.

They're older strange single adjustable struts.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Parts may no longer be available snd even so, Probably not worth rebuilding

https://www.competitivesuspension.com/

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I checked out the site, but the details for the struts do not work for some reason. Guess I'll have to call to find out

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Call Shane

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
I sent my older struts back to Strange. They replaced the old style Koni cartridges with their units. Amazing difference it made. I believe the cost is around $300 each, but well worth it!

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
Defiantly worth looking into. I have recently sent a pair into Strange and they replaced them with a new set including some of the hardware under their crash/rebuild program. Prepare to spend around 700 with tax/shipping.

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
x2 on Shane at Competitive Suspension Solutions
484-529-3501

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 629 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Sent my struts to Strange five years ago, and it cost $1200 to get them updated and rebuilt. They worked the same as they did before they were sent. After dealing with the struts not working for four years, I sent them to Shane and he sent me pictures of the parts he removed from the struts (one of the adjusting rods did not have a hole in it for a pin and the other was broken and the missing part was not in the strut housing). Let's just say that I felt rather ripped off. When I got them back from Shane, the front worked as it should have four years earlier. It even picked up the front end so much that we had to back off the extension. Shane provided great customer service, and I will definitely be using him for future rebuilds.

Posts: 51 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Competitive Suspension.. He will be getting a call sometime in the near future for our dragster shocks.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NC3x58:
Another vote for Competitive Suspension.. He will be getting a call sometime in the near future for our dragster shocks.

Mine just got there Nick! And give them a call. Very nice and informative folks to talk to. Cant wait to get mine back.

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rarmbruster0001:
Sent my struts to Strange five years ago, and it cost $1200 to get them updated and rebuilt. They worked the same as they did before they were sent. After dealing with the struts not working for four years, I sent them to Shane and he sent me pictures of the parts he removed from the struts (one of the adjusting rods did not have a hole in it for a pin and the other was broken and the missing part was not in the strut housing). Let's just say that I felt rather ripped off. When I got them back from Shane, the front worked as it should have four years earlier. It even picked up the front end so much that we had to back off the extension. Shane provided great customer service, and I will definitely be using him for future rebuilds.

wow what kind of struts were these? 1200 bucks is a lot to rebuild them.

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
WOW! 1200 FOR A REBUILD?! Eek PRETTY SURE I WAS QUOTED $150 EACH FOR MY PENSKE'S I JUST SENT.

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just another vote to give Shane a call. Great customer service.

Not sure your car or combination, but may be worth switching to double adjustable instead of spending money on what you have now. Regardless, Shane will help you

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
From what I am reading here that Competitive Solutions would the go to for Strange strut or shock freshen up. Anyone know if this is due to a turnover in help at Strange?

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SLICKSTER:
From what I am reading here that Competitive Solutions would the go to for Strange strut or shock freshen up. Anyone know if this is due to a turnover in help at Strange?

I've never dealt with Strange but I can tell you that Shanes turnaround was quick, his price was very reasonable and he called me to discuss exactly what he found with my shocks (dual Afco's on an old Race-Tech dragster), what he was doing to them & what adjustments he thought I should make. When I got them back they looked about as close to brand new as you can expect and worked perfectly. To be fair, there was nothing really wrong with them but my car is a 2003 and I figured it was probably overdue... Shane confirmed that when he took them apart that while there was no damage inside, the oil was as thin as water and he could see they definitely had some age & wear on them. Sometimes there are people outside of a company that have more practical experience with a product than the manufacturer and more freedom to do what needs to be done - anyone who runs a Terminator or Flying Toilet will tell you to call James Monroe and not Ron's for purchases & tech advice for example!

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 629 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Add to the list of options, "Afterworks Shocks" This is a former partner in Santuff, now with his own company. Ron Gilbreath owner.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1832 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
Liking my experience with Shane so far. Now, do i go gloss black or stick with chrome springs? Razz

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Spend the coin for the bling

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the kind words. We absolutely try our best to keep lead times down and work with what you send in. As we have grown it is harder to find time to get back on a forum and read posts like this. This was a nice surprise and thank you all. Please reach out and let us know how we can help you all in the future. Your chrome springs are on the way Michael!

Posts: 21 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Spend the coin for the bling

Thanks to Competitive Suspension Solutions, easy choice Ed! Cool

Michael Frizie
ET 2471