DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    A radial for my foot brake/no e Vette
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A radial for my foot brake/no e Vette
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Hoosier shows three tires that I am considering. The Vette will accommodate any of the three listed in the 29.5x10.5 or 30x10.5 sizes. One of the three is a lightweight design.
Let me hear about your experience with the Hoosier radial in the above-mentioned sizes.
My Vette will weigh about 3100 with driver. The performance will be 5.90's - 6.0 range. I will race on well prepped, good quality tracks.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1830 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Larry, I ran the 30/10.5 radial on my 3880 lb. Chevelle from ‘99 until I sold it after the ‘08 season. Made thousands of footbraked passes on that tire. Swapped them out every 75-100 passes then gave them to a friend who put another 75-100 on them with his 3100 lb. 3rd gen Camaro running mid 10s. Before this tire I ran the 30/9.0 radial for the ‘98 season. I ran the lightweight tire once along the way and they didn’t make 50 passes on my car before the 60s became inconsistent.

https://youtu.be/rbKYio6OvKM

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Ed, Thanks. To be clear, are we talking about Hoosier #18215 [30x10.5 c07 compound?]

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1830 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Yes sir

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Ed, I appreciate your feedback. NOTE: appreciate = "to recognize the value of"

Larry Woodfin

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Anytime Larry. FYI I ran between 18 & 21psi in them

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Smile

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
I've run several sets of 18215. They are a great tire! Deadly consistent and I've won a lot of races on them. Put them on a 12" wheel if you can. Very light burnout. I quit using the line lock. Break them loose and shift immediately into high gear while rolling out. They need to be clean, not hot. Smoke just shortens the tire life. If my burnout ends really short for some reason, I never redo it. They still work fine.

A friend is running the bracket radials and I've noticed the compound seems to be tackier than the 18215. I was considering trying the 29.5x10.5 next time. Section width is wider and the PBR compound. Really don't know why I would change something that's working perfectly though.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I never used a line lock with these tires, didn’t have one in the Chevelle and my burnouts were between 2 & 4 seconds depending on the air temperature. Ran this tire on a 10” wheel.

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
The Hoosier 29.5 x 10.5 DBR is huge.

I'm running the M/T 29.5 x 10.5 PBR on 8" wheels, it's a great tire, but I cannot even begin to fit the DBR on my car, not even close. I will have to notch the frame and alter the wheelhouses to fit them. I'll go with a 10" wheel when I do.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1647 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Matt Ward, please check your PM.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Fresh off the Hoosier truck via way of Lonestar Super Gas in Kilgore

Larry Woodfin

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
clapping

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
Fresh off the Hoosier truck via way of Lonestar Super Gas in Kilgore

You should be pretty happy with those tires.
I wish the 18211 was still available.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post