DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Interesting zoomies vs. full length header vid
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting zoomies vs. full length header vid
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted

Posts: 477 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
There's 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back......

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Got to learn to use the scan feature.Took me less then minute and half.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4193 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I'm talking about the poorly tuned engine and pretty much useless information.

They were excited about blowing stuff around in the dyno room though... Roll Eyes

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
definately not equal to your engine guy

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
scratch them off the list of potential engine builders...what a mess!!

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Only interesting information is it somewhat confirmed what I have known that Zoomies kill some horsepower. Looked like about 140 here on that one.
I did not even see a set up to get rid of any of the exhaust. Crazy, Dyno room needs to have large pipes to get exhaust out of the dyno room and fresh air in.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4026 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
On a low HP, poorly tuned deal like that, I'm not surprised at a loss of HP.

That being said I wonder why all T/AD, TA/FC and blown Pro Mods run zoomies if there is power to be had with collector headers.........

HMMMM

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
....... blown Pro Mods run zoomies if there is power to be had with collector headers.........

HMMMM

We don't want anymore bottom end power ...... got almost all of the timing out now.

Cool

NHRA Pro Stock..........now on a no CARB diet.

Posts: 2764 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:

That being said I wonder why all T/AD, TA/FC and blown Pro Mods run zoomies if there is power to be had with collector headers.........

HMMMM

And big time nitrous cars

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Nichols
posted Hide Post
It can be a big adjustment to carb jetting when going from collector headers to zoomies. The zoomies kill the draw signal as far as carbs go. I did an A-B-A test involving headers at the track. From a best tune w collector headers, I had to add 8 jets to return performance to the same level with zoomies. Were the runs the same.....no. The launch was softer due to a lack of torque w zoomies, but the engine ran better down track with 1 more MPH at the quarter. The reason that blown engines run zoomies is that they have a supercharger and most are running either a power adder or fuel injection and at not dependant on a carb signal. They are looking to clear the most exhaust possible. In fact, adding extra torque at the bottom makes the car harder to manage.

Posts: 157 | Location: Charlestown, IN U.S.A | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
And big time nitrous cars

Same answer as above ........ 5 3/4" stroke motor needs no bottom end help.

Posts: 2764 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XPS fan:
quote:
....... blown Pro Mods run zoomies if there is power to be had with collector headers.........

HMMMM

We don't want anymore bottom end power ...... got almost all of the timing out now.

Cool

I agree, same here, if I didn't pull timing I wouldn't make it 10ft

A mild blown engine such as in the video will be better off with collector headers, A "real" race engine, not so much.....

BTW the flames out of the headers at idle were a dead giveaway of the poor tuning of that engine......looks cool for use in a wheelstander though........

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:

HMMMM

BTW Fred, this was a rhetorical question Wink

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
......and you guys scared the #$%& out of me with this thread. Just received a Nelson engine for a customer turnkey build...

DIFFERENT NELSON ......... thank goodness !

Praying

DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm a little slow ......... please use this in the future

Slap Head

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XPS fan:
quote:

I'm a little slow ......... please use this in the future

Slap Head

Too many race gas fumes?

Falling of chair laughing

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

HMMMM
Rick Santos built a set of collector headers for his many time world championship TAD and ran them a few races. It was just as fast as the cookies, but he ultimately went back to the cookies, I dont know why, but I'll try to remember to ask him next time I talk to him. I wouldn't doubt it was more a convenience thing then a performance thing since it was just as fast with either.

I know of a few blown pro mods that run/ran collector headers and made just as much power, the only thing they said was that the lack of front end downforce from the zoomies pointing up made them very unstable down track.

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will Harrison:
quote:

HMMMM
Rick Santos built a set of collector headers for his many time world championship TAD and ran them a few races. It was just as fast as the cookies, but he ultimately went back to the cookies, I dont know why, but I'll try to remember to ask him next time I talk to him. I wouldn't doubt it was more a convenience thing then a performance thing since it was just as fast with either.

I know of a few blown pro mods that run/ran collector headers and made just as much power, the only thing they said was that the lack of front end downforce from the zoomies pointing up made them very unstable down track.

Put a set on the B/ED (single 4 barrel 358 cu in, 917hp) 13 years ago or more.. looking to kill some torque. It did! A dimes worth! Never got them within a dime tuning. Would need a cam and gear change.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4508 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
Probably too much tire shake on tad.
Wouldn't last long.

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 253 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post