DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    2002 Cummins 5.9 Help
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2002 Cummins 5.9 Help
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
So I called Freightliner, gave then the vin and they say no second filter but check the inner frame rail by the rear axle...…… Wink

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
After reading through this, I am so glad I don't have a motorhome.......

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Al,
Did you get it fixed?

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Not yet. I did take a quick peak under there and its pretty crowed in that area so I am going to wait a few weeks and get it on a lift so we can get a good look to see if there is a second filter or not. I also plan to put an electric fuel pressure gauge to see what that is,,, and scan to check the codes.

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
Al - I'll be camping with my girlfriend and her kids in Salem, MA this weekend if you want to come by and borrow my code reader! We get home Sunday night and then I'm in Marlborough, MA Tuesday & Wednesday for Lamborghini training!

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 634 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Al,
Did you get a chance to find out what your issue was?

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
Frank it has an injection pump death code in it SID 254 FMI 8, but he is fighting it. I read it Friday and Billy Worters put his laptop on it Sunday at the Valley. Doing some research those VP44's are common to fail. There are some other reasons for that code but most repairs come back to the pump.

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 369dragster:
Frank it has an injection pump death code in it SID 254 FMI 8, but he is fighting it. I read it Friday and Billy Worters put his laptop on it Sunday at the Valley. Doing some research those VP44's are common to fail. There are some other reasons for that code but most repairs come back to the pump.

An experienced second opinion!

Note the 216 Dodge code is the same as Freightliner's 368! Razz

PERTINENT CODES
In my experience the 216 code is not a “Death Code” as some people say. It only tells you the injection pump can’t attain full timing advance and therefore power, and if this code is the ONLY code and you don’t have any other symptoms, the VP44 does not need to be replaced, and will not put you on the side of the road. If you DO have the 216 code you should check your lift pump pressure UNDER LOAD as lift pump pressure is what moves the timing piston and advances timing, so if lift pump pressure is low, that may be the cause of the 216 code. If lift pump pressure is good, then the code means the housing of the injection pump is worn out, which in itself still isn’t a reason to replace the VP44 either, in my mind. Click on the icon on the bottom of the last page of this section for how to diagnose a lift pump accurately.
A weak or failed lift pump or a plugged fuel filter will NOT give any other drivability issues OTHER than a skip, miss or buck at high load/high RPM operation. If you DO experience ONLY these symptoms, replace the fuel filter and if you can’t bleed the system, or if changing the filter doesn’t fix the problem, go to “How to Diagnose a Lift Pump” at the bottom of this page and proceed from there.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
i have a 2000 pusher with a 5.9 cummins... sorta same issues when my pump went out.... they are known to go out especially if you have a lift pump that doesn't put out proper pressure to supply the pump it will nuke the pump because it requires fuel to help keep the pump cool... not enough fuel flow and the circuit board on top of the pump the solder starts getting funky and thats where most fail, ....almost anything that resembles dead pedal could be the pump starting to go...very rarely its the TPS or something else, but thats not to say it couldn't be something else... but odds are its the vp44.

the good thing is, most guys with some knowledge can replace the vp44, your not at the mercy of a cummins shop to rape you, the only special tool you need is the plate to push the pump gear off the pump before you pull it. look online for it, its just a flat plate with 2 holes, the pump gear has 2 threaded holes you mount the plate to and pull the gear off the pump.... YOU MUST make sure the engine is at TDC before pulling...there is a keyway in there... might need a crows foot for 1 of the injector lines.... not to bad of a job...takes about 2 hours to do, i have done atleast a dozen over the yrs, a reman pump typically goes for around 1000.00....you do need the codes off the pump to make sure you get the correct pump, most places have them.

replace it before your stuck and get a hefty tow bill.

Posts: 691 | Location: tower city pa | Registered: December 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post