DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Hydraulic Trailer jack issue!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hydraulic Trailer jack issue!
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted
Went the raise the trailer to load up and get ready for this weekend, and once the landing gear makes contact with the ground and put under the load of the trailer, it quits extending and wont lift the trailer. it extends up and down like is should, the fluid reservoir is full of fluid. Do i have a bad cylinder seal? What else should I check? Thanks for any help.

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 606 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
If the fluid is full and no leaks, it must have Air in the system

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
Best way to purge? i cycled it several times. And where would it get air from? I always retract it and leave it on the mechanical gear so no loads left on the hydraulic system. Thanks.

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 606 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Does the pump continue to run and not lift or does everything stop when the load is applied? Low voltage will shut the pump down when the load is applied.

Posts: 147 | Location: Left of Center | Registered: February 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
internal seals in cylinder or pressure reg possible.the pump is putting fluid on one hose,undo the other hose and run pump. if fluid continuosly comes out its seals.if only a small amount while shaft is moving then something else.my guess would be pressure relief valve

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1453 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lincoln:
Does the pump continue to run and not lift or does everything stop when the load is applied? Low voltage will shut the pump down when the load is applied.

Pump continues to run as long as you hold the switch. Just doesn't change pitch and doesn't lift the trailer. But does travel up and down fine when not under a load.

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What Rusty said^^^

Posts: 147 | Location: Left of Center | Registered: February 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
internal seals in cylinder or pressure reg possible.the pump is putting fluid on one hose,undo the other hose and run pump. if fluid continuosly comes out its seals.if only a small amount while shaft is moving then something else.my guess would be pressure relief valve

where's the valve typically?

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i havnt looked at that close and assuming big foot jack,but likely incorparated in pump

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1453 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
maybe google brand for parts or schematic

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice guys. guess its back to old school hard work for the weekend, raising the trailer the hard way! Laughing Hard

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:

I'd vote for the seals in the cylinder.

My travel trailer has hydraulic slides. After replacing the pump (it worked but leaked) I went to extend them and one opened and the other two would not. Ended up having to take the bottom apart and getting the cylinders rebuilt. Now works like a charm.
Rusty is right.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3336 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Frizie:
Thanks for the advice guys. guess its back to old school hard work for the weekend, raising the trailer the hard way! Laughing Hard

If it has 2 speed legs make sure it's in low gear.. Ask me how I know... Big Grin Big Grin

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3336 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post