DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Transmission issue, input needed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transmission issue, input needed
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted
So before I go tearing this thing apart, I wanna get some other opinions. While I have my opinion I always like to hear other suggestions.

Warm car up, no issues, Head up for time trial and when hitting the transbreak button the car rocks (not a settle but an actual rock forward one button is pressed), make the run and everything seems ok. Get back to trailer and test it and sometimes it will not rock and sometimes it will. Head up for second time trial and it rocks again and car leaves like a turd. 60 is off 3 numbers and car runs 2 1/2 tenths slow and MPH is down. Temp is not hot and its full of fluid that looks good.

Any opinions on whats going on?

Posts: 611 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Is this a powerglide?

If it is and only rocks forward then typically the band is applying before the reverse clutch's fully apply and or reverse is slipping.

If it is losing 3 hun to the 60 and .250 in the 1/8th then I would think the band is slipping in low and you have low pressure. Most likely it is also slipping in high

Before tearing it apart I would put a gauge in the servo port and check line pressure. you want 220-250 psi for a typical bracket glide.

Sounds like you may have a pressure issue

Posts: 2516 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
2 1/2 tenths and MPH down? You may have a converter problem.
I think line pressure may be part of problem with rocking but losing that much ET and MPH I would look at converter.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
Yes sorry it is a powerglide. We tried to adjust the band and re adjust it but it did not help.

Posts: 611 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Get a pressure reading first then take it apart. My bet is you have a pump failing

Posts: 2516 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
I was thinking a pump issue but wasn't sure. I am not familiar with a pump failure and how it would effect the performance going down track. What's odd is that the last 7 passes prior to this one the car printed tickets.

What type of gauge would be recommended for this, just any pressure gauge.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Da Shoe:
I was thinking a pump issue but wasn't sure. I am not familiar with a pump failure and how it would effect the performance going down track. What's odd is that the last 7 passes prior to this one the car printed tickets.

What type of gauge would be recommended for this, just any pressure gauge.

Low pressure will affect all aspects of the trans, converter, low, high, trans brake etc, the whole trans operates on Hyd pressure, knowing what pressure its operating at is invaluable information to have IMO

Any 300psi Gauge will work, just make sure you can read it, in park, in low, in high and while you put it on the TB. while in low when you push the TB button the pressure will drop but SHOULD raise back up quickly.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
OTC 5610 is the kit I have. Does engine oil pressure and trans pressure.
https://www.summitracing.com/p...HuEJ-UAaAmmREALw_wcB

Posts: 465 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I forgot to ask,
Is this a stock or aftermarket case?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have the harbor freight version. I've probably tested 5 transmissions and one person used the oil pressure gauge and it's been good so far.

https://www.harborfreight.com/...-test-kit-64872.html

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 495 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I forgot to ask,
Is this a stock or aftermarket case?

Aftermarket Case, BTE. Nothing in this transmission is stock.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Whose pump is everyone running and why are you running that particular brand?

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5328 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Whose pump is everyone running and why are you running that particular brand?

Reid pump in the dragster. FTI pump in the door car.

The Reid pump was chosen years ago because I thought it was supposed to be the best. I don't know if that's true or not, but I've never had a pump-related issue.

The FTI pump was chosen because I needed an input shaft and they offer a pump/input combo kit. I don't think there is nearly enough clarity when shopping for these things, as far as whether a given pump needs to be used with a ringed or ringless shaft.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3202 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of DON KALINA
posted Hide Post
THE B.T.E. ALUMINUM VALVEBODY'S HAD AN ISSUE WITH THE SEPARATOR PLATE .THE BLUE ALUMINUM ONES....CHECK TO SEE IF IT'S FLAT AROUND THE TRANS. BRAKE AREA OR
HUMPED UP IN THE SHAPE OF A 5 SIDED TRIANGLE...REPLACE IT WITH A GOLD STEEL SEPARATOR & GASKETS...WHEN IT LEAKS..IT AFFECTS THE WHOLE GLIDE..ASK ME HOW I KNOW..

Posts: 65 | Location: Northwest | Registered: August 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DON KALINA:
THE B.T.E. ALUMINUM VALVEBODY'S HAD AN ISSUE WITH THE SEPARATOR PLATE .THE BLUE ALUMINUM ONES....CHECK TO SEE IF IT'S FLAT AROUND THE TRANS. BRAKE AREA OR
HUMPED UP IN THE SHAPE OF A 5 SIDED TRIANGLE...REPLACE IT WITH A GOLD STEEL SEPARATOR & GASKETS...WHEN IT LEAKS..IT AFFECTS THE WHOLE GLIDE..ASK ME HOW I KNOW..

In this car (I have 3) if I remember correctly it had an FTI Valve Body (Aluminum). The transbreak solenoid was changed last month ( 4 races on it) but it was changed to the exact same that was in it FTI Solenoid.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
This is what I would do.
Get a pressure gauge and get a transmission pressure reading first. You will probably have low pressure, id be willing to bet on that. Then pull the transmission. Inspect the pump gaskets and seals very closely and I'm sure you will see the seal is probably cavitated in ward and is just dumping that fluid back to pan. That's why you have low pressure. When temperatures get cooler/colder this gremlin car rear its ugly head.
You will have to check all the clutches etc. make sure they didn't get too much heat. If you only make one 1/8 pass you are probably good. Put pump back together with new gaskets and seals and make sure you tighten the pump bolts according to spec. Put it back in the car and I bet your problem will be solved.

Posts: 248 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of DON KALINA
posted Hide Post
THE BTE CASE...ANOTHER THING TO CHECK....THE SERVO TUBE AS IT GOES INTO THAT SMALL HOLE INTO THE CASE..INTO THE SERVO...THERE IS NO STOPPER FOR THE SERVO TUBE
TO BOTTOM OUT....ALL BTE CASE'S I USE...I GRIND OFF ABOUT .030 OFF THE SHORT END OF THE TUBE...DEBURR & POLISH...IF IT GOES TOO FAR...IT'LL HIT THE SERVO PISTON.
DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM...I CAUGHT IT WHEN I SEEN WITNESS MARKS ON THE SERVO PISTON...GOOD LUCK.

Posts: 65 | Location: Northwest | Registered: August 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If it was the servo tube then he would have had this issue from the get go. It wouldn't have happened after a bunch of runs, it would have happened on the first run.

Posts: 248 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I still think you may be chasing two separate and different problems here.
The rocking is probably due to low pump pressure and several here have gave some good ideas where and how to resolve that.

Big red flag to me for possible second issue is 60 foot off 3 numbers and car 2, 1/2 tenths slow and that sounds to me like converter. Yes fluid pressure effects converter stall but I think it should be higher and original post did not say anything about motor blowing through converter.

Now if the engine RPM was up over normal then I would think it is all in transmission.

I would hate to see you pull transmission and fix low pump pressure and put it all back together with same converter and still be 2, 1/2 tenths slow.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I still think you may be chasing two separate and different problems here.
The rocking is probably due to low pump pressure and several here have gave some good ideas where and how to resolve that.

Big red flag to me for possible second issue is 60 foot off 3 numbers and car 2, 1/2 tenths slow and that sounds to me like converter. Yes fluid pressure effects converter stall but I think it should be higher and original post did not say anything about motor blowing through converter.

Now if the engine RPM was up over normal then I would think it is all in transmission.

I would hate to see you pull transmission and fix low pump pressure and put it all back together with same converter and still be 2, 1/2 tenths slow.

If the transmission has a bad seal/gasket and the fluid is just being directed right back into the pan then that would have an issue on 60ft and everything else downtrack, also at the hit. It would mean low and high are both slipping.
Its hard for me to think this is a converter issue due to the statement that it was performing with no issues on the previous runs. Also while its not impossible, for there to have 2 issues simultaneously happen that are not related is the last thing I would consider.

First thing to fix is the low pump pressure.