DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Transmission cooling systems
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transmission cooling systems
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of drampage
posted
Hi, I'm looking for some input on the Jones Transmission fluid pump cooling system and also on the FTI pump around cooling system. I would like to get one, but I would like to get some comments as to which one some of you prefer. Thanks

Posts: 144 | Location: west palm beach | Registered: October 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Been using the Jones pump for 6 years in my dragster and will install one in my door car in the offseason.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
One of the key benefits of our system is that it actually pumps fluid, not just through the pan/transmission, but through the converter (where most trans heat is made) as well. We originally designed these for monster trucks to keep them cool after a race or freestyle run but they quickly became popular for our drag racing guys as well. In the 8 minutes the monster truck guys are allowed in between runs we were able to knock over 50 degrees out of the truck.

my email is dalton@ftiperformance.com if you have any questions.

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 160 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Jones on mine - also pumps through the converter.

No problems cooling down if required in a hurry-up situation (late in rounds). I double enter every race and monitor with racepack/IQ3 dash.

Posts: 1438 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
My Transynd synthetic trans fluid temp is always 125-130 when staged, whether 1st round or final round.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of drampage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ski_dwn_it:
Jones on mine - also pumps through the converter.

No problems cooling down if required in a hurry-up situation (late in rounds). I double enter every race and monitor with racepack/IQ3 dash.
Hi, Thanks for the information. Is yours plumed differently as the ones that I have seen as it only goes into the pan and through the manifold with the fittings, or is it a new designed that I'm not aware about?

Posts: 144 | Location: west palm beach | Registered: October 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of drampage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
My Transynd synthetic trans fluid temp is always 125-130 when staged, whether 1st round or final round.
Thank you so very much for the information.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This is all you need. This and a trans temp guage.

When you come back from a run, turn engine off and run the fan, when the cooler is cool to the touch spin the engine over or start it for one second. That'll put the cool oil in the trans and new hot converter oil in the cooler.

Do this two or three times and the trans temp will drop 30 degrees. You can stand alongside the car and view the temp drop on the guage.

Takes 4 minutes to cool the oil in the cooler each time.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of drampage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
This is all you need. This and a trans temp guage.

When you come back from a run, turn engine off and run the fan, when the cooler is cool to the touch spin the engine over or start it for one second. That'll put the cool oil in the trans and new hot converter oil in the cooler.

Do this two or three times and the trans temp will drop 30 degrees. You can stand alongside the car and view the temp drop on the guage.

Takes 4 minutes to cool the oil in the cooler each time. Thanks.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EebjROKoR8g

Check valve in that block?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6399 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:

Switched over to Allison Transynd fluid at the beginning of this season. Probably the single best decision I have ever made to my transmission program. If it will survive in trucks, buses and motorhomes it will survive in my dragster for 6 seconds. Never could go more than 2 races without having to change the fluid, I went thru the entire season without burning the fluid and taking the pan off my trans this season.
I highly recommend it to everyone and its not expensive at all.

Posts: 2422 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Steve, without question it is the best transmission fluid PERIOD, it has no equal!!

Did the research back in 2004 and spoke directly to Allison's Trans Fluid Engineer, responsible for Transynd's development.

https://jglubricantservices.com/about_us.html

I was sold and I've been running it since 2005.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
I switched to Transynd before I left for the Million. Double entered at Huntsville and Montgomery with no trans cooling issues at all. I just have a cooler and a small blower I set on top of trans blowing on main trans body.125-130 in the box every time...

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TonyB6255:
I switched to Transynd before I left for the Million. Double entered at Huntsville and Montgomery with no trans cooling issues at all. I just have a cooler and a small blower I set on top of trans blowing on main trans body.125-130 in the box every time...

How much DIFFERENCE did you see?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6399 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:

Switched over to Allison Transynd fluid at the beginning of this season. Probably the single best decision I have ever made to my transmission program. If it will survive in trucks, buses and motorhomes it will survive in my dragster for 6 seconds. Never could go more than 2 races without having to change the fluid, I went thru the entire season without burning the fluid and taking the pan off my trans this season.
I highly recommend it to everyone and its not expensive at all.

I wonder at times if we tend to take a tank to a slap fight. Yours is a ultra hp machine and the trans sees all of it. When I was NA, small block dragster, I could run season upon season without failure or affecting the fluid. I would say it is application driven.

Maybe for Ed: Is there a measure of how quickly transsynd absorbs and sheds heat....conducting, vs other fluids?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by TonyB6255:

How much DIFFERENCE did you see?

He's speaking to how the new oil affected the torque converter (stall), in terms of the amount of delay he ran in the delay box.

As far as Transynd goes, do a trans service on your Duramax. It won't take you long to figure out it'll work good in your hot rod, test drive.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
Other options. for powerglide and TH400, Can be used with a Jones or FTI external pump to cool down even faster.

https://www.meziere.com/Produc...-Heat-Exchanger.aspx

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 238 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
^^^Not needed at all no mind for nearly $900.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Very cool looking pan and I love the idea, but the price is pretty stout for sure.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post