DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    6 Counterweight crank vs full counterweight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 Counterweight crank vs full counterweight
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
School me on the pros and cons of a normal 6 counterweight crank vs an 8 “full counterweight” crank for a typical BBC bracket engine. Weight differences? Performance considerations? Longevity?

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to performance. I have never seen anyone spend the money to do a ABA test. There is unlikely to be any HP gain there. It's just not logical.

I will say that from a longevity, main bearing wear and balance standpoint a full weighted cw crank wins going away.

Weight, since you are bracket racing it makes no difference but you can spend more money getting a lightened version....but then it likely gets flexier. You have to balance potentially improved acceleration vs longevity.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 352 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Crower 6 counter to Bryant 8 counter. 11hp gain with the 8 counter and it's 3.5 pounds heavier. Everything else the same.

strangemagicperformance.com
oldsperformanceproducts.com

WD dealer for just about all your performance needs.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Suffern, NY | Registered: November 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post