DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Air bladder placement.....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air bladder placement.....
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
dont worry mitch 1310 likes to strut his stuff makes him think hes somebody special I have used air bladder under back of my vet for 25 years. Saves the shocks and springs. They were desigined to go down table flat race tracks. Itow alot on I80 very bumpy bladder saves susspention

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 410 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
For your typical door cars, don't see the need to use one but using one wouldn't hurt. Depending on the miles towed and road conditions, along with the trailer being used, some benefit to the shocks can be had by using one.

I would say there isn't a prostock deal out there that doesn't secure the chassis down and remove the shocks they use on race day, but we are talking Prostock here.

Suspending any dragster, just as towing on the floor, it should be supported from flexing during towing. In Ed's case, looks too tight to do so but what to do expect from Just Another White Trailer anyway. Big Grin I am sure many don't support then when suspended. Not a big deal until it breaks....

And it looks like this. lol

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mitch H:
OK, I did not mean to start a mild argument with this question. Smile

While my trailer is not very nice, or expensive, I don't think it rides particularly rough because I just sit stuff on the countertop/work benchs and it is all still sitting there when I get to where I am going. Plus, I drive smoothly all the time.

Two reasons why I am going with air bladders....

1. My shock guy rebuilt my shocks last winter before the 2019 season. I asked him how they looked when I picked them up. I was told that he was kind of surprised at the wear with only 78 runs on the brand new shocks. When I asked him if I should be tying down the suspension, he was startled that I did not already do that.

2. After that conversation I asked a good racing buddy of mine if I should use bladders under the car. He told me that he would absolutely not tow a car like mine anywhere without using them.

The shock guy builds shocks for drag, dirt, and asphalt cars all over the world. My racing buddy has run his own pro mod for longer than I can remember.

I figure that a couple of air bags cost less than 600 bucks. A new set of penskes in the back and adjustable struts up front cost a lot more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuC4L8wHDjg&t=399s

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hammond:
quote:
Originally posted by Mitch H:
OK, I did not mean to start a mild argument with this question. Smile

While my trailer is not very nice, or expensive, I don't think it rides particularly rough because I just sit stuff on the countertop/work benchs and it is all still sitting there when I get to where I am going. Plus, I drive smoothly all the time.

Two reasons why I am going with air bladders....

1. My shock guy rebuilt my shocks last winter before the 2019 season. I asked him how they looked when I picked them up. I was told that he was kind of surprised at the wear with only 78 runs on the brand new shocks. When I asked him if I should be tying down the suspension, he was startled that I did not already do that.

2. After that conversation I asked a good racing buddy of mine if I should use bladders under the car. He told me that he would absolutely not tow a car like mine anywhere without using them.

The shock guy builds shocks for drag, dirt, and asphalt cars all over the world. My racing buddy has run his own pro mod for longer than I can remember.

I figure that a couple of air bags cost less than 600 bucks. A new set of penskes in the back and adjustable struts up front cost a lot more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuC4L8wHDjg&t=399s

I like the information posted below the youtube video. "The information contained in this video is based on the opinion of Tim McAmis and his 30+ years in the motorsport and manufacturing industries."

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2552 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
Anything on here will be an arguement since Ed's back.

I stated my opinion, no argument from me. I couldn't care any less what the OP does or anyone else posting here with their car, their money, their time but maybe my opinion leaves some with hurt feelings for those whose beliefs are based in myth, rumor, hearsay and internet forum lore rather than the facts I present from 30 years of experience.

quote:
Originally posted by vetman:
dont worry mitch 1310 likes to strut his stuff makes him think hes somebody special

I don't need to strut my stuff vetman, it speaks for itself...top shelf, championship caliber cars/program!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

I don't need to strut my stuff vetman, it speaks for itself...top shelf, championship caliber cars/program!

I wonder if Lenzy Pepkins takes credit for all to the Patriots success???

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The OP stayed on track with his posts & people derail the thread. Wink

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2552 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the McAmis link. Smile

No hurt feelers here Ed, I have been given a lot of both good and bad information/tips since I won my first bracket race back in 1976, however long ago that was.

Posts: 154 | Location: PA | Registered: December 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Mitch,
You asked a very good question. There should of been no need for any kind of even a mild argument. I am hoping this thread opens more peoples eyes and minds on the need to limit suspension travel when towing.

In answer to the other posters question as to why we don't see that issue on our tow rigs...well those shocks are right at the axle and have lots of air flow around them.

As Roger said it is just plain physics.

To prove our point, place an open cooler with a few bottles of water at the front and back of the trailer by the back door. See which one is still full after you drive a few miles.

On our car we always cross the rear tie downs as well to give a better angle of pull.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Burkleo:
I am hoping this thread opens more peoples eyes and minds on the need to limit suspension travel when towing.

On our car we always cross the rear tie downs as well to give a better angle of pull.

there is no need, that is your opinion, not fact.

Further, this thread is not about the proper way to tie down a door car.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have had my DRAGSTER 17 seasons. I didn't support the car for the first two or three seasons, and had a tube break. I supported from then forward in time, and have not had a tube break since. I also wore out a shock within 4 years. Now I send in the shock when I want to make a change.

Illinois roads are no joke. They will find the car's weak point. If there is no significant weak point, great. If there is, you are often at the race track with a two piece car missing rounds or worse. For the one extra minute it takes me to slide that sucker in and pump it up before we leave, I figure I will.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bucky,

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6410 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Mc Amis knows...……………

Way back when I had a Tommy Mauney built car, this was before there were air bladders available. Tommy suggested that I support the chassis in the trailer. I built a support out of a motorcycle inner tube an a piece of 3/4" plywood. Put it under the rear crossmember and inflated it worked like a champ, never had any chassis or shock problems. I've had dragsters ever since and have been using either my homemade support or an air bladder ever since.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bucky, what car, your dragster? If so, I don't know anyone that doesn't use a bladder under their dragster's chassis but door cars aren't dragsters, door cars don't have the unsprung length in front of the rear tires a dragster does. Also note, some chassis have a history of breaking uprights even when a bladder is used due to a poor chassis design.

As to shocks, I have never wore out any shock on my cars in 30 years, never had a shock leak oil, never had a shock loose it's charge. Further the shocks on my Firebird are original, what was installed when it was built in 2004, same as the shocks on my dragster, now 5 years old and if your correlation to your wore out shock is due to "bad" roads, they are everywhere and I've driven all over this country towing from Illinois, to Louisiana and all points east.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Mine is a Mark Williams design DRAGSTER. Broke right in front of the 4 link mounting points on the bottom, and behind the transmission. Maybe it was a fluke, but in fairness we reinforced it with diagonals horizontally. Obviously in my eye a weak point in this design. But, supporting sure won't hurt.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bucky,

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6410 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
agreed when the conversation is dragsters

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
agreed when the conversation is dragsters

I edited to be more clear about what kind of car.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
thanks for clarifying

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I ran top sportsman for many years and I always put the air bag under the trans pan with round 12 to 15 psi in the bag.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
I ran top sportsman for many years and I always put the air bag under the trans pan with round 12 to 15 psi in the bag.

I would have never considered that! Do you feel it helped both ends of the car from that location?

Posts: 154 | Location: PA | Registered: December 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Mitch once tied down it minimized movement and kept car "loaded". Put many miles on the Firebird in the trailers.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post