DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Q for S10 truck racers - fuel cell & battery location
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Q for S10 truck racers - fuel cell & battery location
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted
Guys, I have '82 S10 drag truck.
When I bought it 12 years ago the large fuel cell was installed in the rear of the box, and I've never done anything with it.

The battery is still under the hood, but I plan to relocate it to the back.

I see other S10s locally that are similar.

But I see though that the IHRA rule book appears to forbid mounting fuel cells and batteries above the level of the rear tires.

Tech has never gigged me for it, although they've never looked under my tonneau cover.

In 2023, I narrowly missed out on qualifying to race in the IHRA World Finals. If by some stroke of luck I qualify this year, I may need to reconfigure things a bit to pass tech there.

I may "over think" things on occasion, but I don't want to tow 900 miles to be told I can't pass tech.

Can anyone tell me why one must keep fuel cells and batteries pretty low like that?

What do you other S10 racers do?

I don't really want to ask my local tech inspector, just because......

Thanks a bunch!

Posts: 338 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We have both the battery and the fuel cell mounted under the bed behind the rear end.
The battery hold-down I think came from Speedway motors.

Posts: 41 | Location: east central ohio | Registered: October 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I bet they are saying mounted above the top of the tires, I would find it hard to believe that yours is that high, if it is then lower it down if your worried about it

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have my 5 gallon cell mounted in the middle of the bed above the rear end, with 2 batteries directly behind it. Never had a problem with tech until a few years ago during tech for the division finals, was told to put batteries in a box, which I did for the next season.

Posts: 297 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
In my truck I have the fuel cell in the back sitting flat on the bed with a battery on each side, have never had a issue with tech. I think as long as the they are in the bed and you can't see then sticking above the bed line your fine.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 239 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Fuel cell on the floor of the bed, battery on the floor to one side of it. NEVER had an issue. Just use the proper mounting bolts and vent fuel tank below or outside the box.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Tech card is supposed to be filled out by the track you run at, it's all an honor system. If you raced at your track and qualified don't worry shouldn't be any tech at the bracket finals or world finals.
The S10 I had and most just have the cell on the bed floor along with the batteries. I think the rule is above the top of the rear tires.
I've see 3rd gen Camaros with the cell mounted behind the rear seat up high inside the car running at a sanctioned track.

Posts: 1461 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post