DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Valve guide replacement or liners??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Valve guide replacement or liners??
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Input on what you are doing for refurbishing valve guides and who to trust doing them? First time these heads will be getting any new parts. Dart 355 CNC. Midwest/Great Lakes area?

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't put liners in bronze guides...Just remove the old guides and install a new set....Liners are fine for stock rebuilds...

IMHO of course

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I understand Dart castings are considered a "light casting" and a CNC'd unit is going to be thinner yet. BBC guides are pressed out and in and seal the water jacket. While not Dart castings, I suffered a cracked exhaust port wall after replacing guides on a ported casting and then torquing down the heads. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer just a heads (no pun intended) up on potential gremlins. I paid the price, no charge for the info.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Either will do the job. I would see what your machine shop is more comfortable doing though. With stock heads the guides aren't concentric so lines are better.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Liners are for Iron heads with cast guides.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1638 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted Hide Post
If I have a head that the guides aren't contoured to the guide wing, I will put new guides in.

If the head has been CNC'd and it's all contoured, I will put a liner in it.

With that said, I have hundreds of guides out there with a liner.

Posts: 1405 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments/opinions. Any remarks of who will do them right? Don't want the valves sunk trying to fix an off center replacement. Everyone seems to agree that a liner will hold the original placement. TIA

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bry-war:
Thanks for the comments/opinions. Any remarks of who will do them right? Don't want the valves sunk trying to fix an off center replacement. Everyone seems to agree that a liner will hold the original placement. TIA

If you need guides, you need a fresh valve job! Also, you should look at why you have bad guides.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post