New
Find
Notify
Tools

No alternator
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I've used two batteries in my bracket car in the past and didn't really have a problem without charging batteries between rounds. Has anyone ever used 3 batteries in parallel? Seems like that would make sure you could go 25 rounds and not run low on voltage. Is 3 overkill??

Posts: 84 | Location: Mooresville, nc | Registered: October 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Bunch of extra weight is the downside. 16 volts and an alternator for me. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5307 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
To me, it seems like a large amount of unnecessary weight. I do understand personal preference. One battery with an alternator always gives me the required service.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1830 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I agree with others. Using an alternator and one battery is best choice.

mem ..... I never charge my race car battery at the track……NEVER!!

Posts: 2457 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I bracket raced for years with one 16 volt battery and no alternator. I won a bunch of races and engine never failed to start even with hot lapping
Big difference for me was alky injection and belt driven pump.
My current build has 1 16v battery and 75 amp alternator. I am running gas with an electric pump

Posts: 2426 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Alternator is a good thing!

I have a 140 amp with (2) 12v batteries.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2545 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen a racer that runs their electric fuel pump intermittently to save the battery I believe. Keeping it off rolling into the water box and during the burnout and turn it ON prior to prestaging.

mem ..... I never charge my race car battery at the track……NEVER!

Posts: 2457 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I prefer to run a 12 volt battery and alternator. I think 2 batteries is a good idea if you have the room and can use the extra weight. Do not think I would do 3 batteries.
I would not run a typical lead plate type battery because the plates can come loose inside. I would go with AGM type battery for safety.

On one of my cars I now have 2 new 16 volt batteries and an alternator. Should not have any issues with it now. Last year one 16 volt battery and no alternator had a problem a few times.

I hate it but on my other altered there is no place or way to put an alternator on it. Really needs one. IMHO all bracket cars should have good alternator.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4008 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Why? Unless you don't have room. 2 and 3 batteries don't offer too many
ticks in the advantages column. And a bunch in the negatives column. Weight, cost, longevity. I've replaced 20x the batteries in my life as opposed to alternators that went bad.

One good battery, one good alternator with correct wiring (something most people with battery problems never look at).

Posts: 1438 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have seen alternators driven off the rear end. Only bad thing is it only charges when the car is moving.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5307 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If using an alternator, I promote getting one that puts out the most where an engine spends the majority of time in dragracing. That’d be idle and driving less than 15 mph. That BO and less than 10 seconds at higher rpm does little to charge a battery.

mem………. I never charge my race car battery at the track……NEVER!!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
If using an alternator, I promote getting one that puts out the most where an engine spends the majority of time in dragracing. That’d be idle and driving less than 15 mph. That BO and less than 10 seconds at higher rpm does little to charge a battery.

mem………. I never charge my race car battery at the track……NEVER!!

What size is your pulley, MEM?

Posts: 395 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ Pulley ratio is 2.0 ( 2.5” x 5”). Powermaster Rated idle output is at 2200 -2400 alternator rpm. My car idles 1200 – 1300 rpm in neutral and in gear.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
I have seen alternators driven off the rear end. Only bad thing is it only charges when the car is moving.

Some circle track racers run them off rear end but they run races 30 minutes long or so. Totally useless for us. When we are driving to staging lanes or return road probably not enough alternator RPM to charge anything so only time it charges is going down the track.
That is when we least want it to have any drag.

I agree with Markemark in getting an alternator that charges where engine spends most of its time. And Powermaster starters and Alternators are really good.

I prefer to run an alternator. If you have everything right even one of those little Shogun type 14 amp alternators will really help. On my car could not even fit one of those.......

If you can not run an alternator then probably run two batteries. Just do not think 3 batteries is the answer and I believe all race cars should be running AGM type batteries over plate type lead acid for safety.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4008 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I don't know why any bracket car wouldn't have an alternator! HMMMM

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
We use 100 amp alternators on all out stuff. 13lbs. Use a 9lb Lithium 16v battery. 22lbs total. half the weight of 1 12v battery and 10 times the fire power.

Posts: 2104 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have 2 batteries and a 100amp alternator and don't even carry a charger to the track most of the time.

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
While I'm an advocate for alternator. If you are dead set on not putting an alternator in then I would look into 2-6 volt batteries in series. Will get far more amp capacity than 2 12 volts in parallel. Just a thought.

Stephen Liss jr

Posts: 329 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: April 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I just installed a PowerMater in my car. No generator in my rig this year.

Posts: 9 | Location: Illinois | Registered: January 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
One of the main advantages of having an alternator is that all equipment has full operating voltage while going down track.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1830 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post