Find
Notify
Tools

Primer System
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted
What are most of you using for fuel in a primer system? Higher octane pump gas, regular pump gas, racing gas or a combination or additives?

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I always used just regular pump gas.....

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
I always used just regular pump gas.....

Me too. Very little cylinder pressure at idle or light throttle. Never had an issue using it.

Posts: 2154 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I used premium gas when I ran injection with the primer plus.

Ran that for a few years and it worked very well.

On my old car with injection I had the std primer and used pretty much any gas....worked fine as well....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If we run straight 87 octane our engines will sometimes “diesel” for a second or two when shutting them off when they’re hot. When using 91 octane they don’t diesel. I either get the ethanol free 91 from the local station or mix a gallon of the lowest octane race fuel the track has with 4 gallons of 87.

Posts: 714 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
When I ran a Rons system with primer I would mix reg unleaded 50/50 with 110 race gas. Not that it was necessary I just wanted the extra octane and lead. I would warm the engine on the primer first fire up of the day and run it on the primer at the end of the day to remove the alky from the cylinders. Other than that I never used it during the day. I didnt like how it mucked up the plugs. JMO of course, your results may vary

Posts: 2426 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
87 octane or 93. Never an issue 582 CI 14:1 compression

Posts: 1438 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I’m on primer plus with 93 octane anytime the sbc is not on racing surface. If I loose 2nd rd I’ll have gone through more 93 than methanol.

I don’t worry about what the spark plugs look like. They’ll be black from running PP system. When I switch over to methanol the engine comes to full power.

I recently pulled the plugs out of my present engine checking to see if any were wet from oil. 288 runs and they all looked perfect…… dry and black as the bottom of my race shoes. You’ve seen the pics.

What’s interesting is that the plugs go in gapped at 30 thou. They measured 39 thou now. The ones in my other engine with 500 runs on them measure 41 thou gap. The bottom of the spark plug strap is wearing away.

I’m not changing plugs in the present engine or re-gapping. I have Grid 7720 that outputs very high spark. Runs the exact same having a 9 thou larger gap now.

Posts: 2457 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I mix 91 octane with 110 race gas. I’m not particular about the ratio, but didn’t like the dieseling so always want some good stuff in there.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
On my primer system I could not get it right with gas or E-85 so ended up using alcohol which still makes it hard to start in cold weather.
With the way my system is now I will squirt a little gas if it is really cold on first start. Then after that I hit the primer for about 15 seconds and then hit ignition and leave the primer pump going until mechanical pump comes in and then shut off primer.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4009 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
93 octane pump gas in the primer plus with a Ron's Terminator system. We run it on gas until the burnout with no problems. Our R-M 540 is easy to start in any conditions.

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Personally I prefer a general race gas or 50/50 mix over straight pump. Maybe the pump gas around here is crappy. But on race gas I can run the primer leaner so the quart lasts longer. Also isn't as tempermental on the race gas. On pump gas mine will diesel like mentioned above, vary more rpm, and wants to kickback or ping on a restart

Scott

Posts: 1838 | Location: Illinois | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
I’m on primer plus with 93 octane anytime the sbc is not on racing surface. If I loose 2nd rd I’ll have gone through more 93 than methanol.

I don’t worry about what the spark plugs look like. They’ll be black from running PP system. When I switch over to methanol the engine comes to full power.

I recently pulled the plugs out of my present engine checking to see if any were wet from oil. 288 runs and they all looked perfect…… dry and black as the bottom of my race shoes. You’ve seen the pics.

What’s interesting is that the plugs go in gapped at 30 thou. They measured 39 thou now. The ones in my other engine with 500 runs on them measure 41 thou gap. The bottom of the spark plug strap is wearing away.

I’m not changing plugs in the present engine or re-gapping. I have Grid 7720 that outputs very high spark. Runs the exact same having a 9 thou larger gap now.

Autolite Racing eh?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow: Autolite Racing eh?

Posts: 2457 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow: Autolite Racing eh?

Hmmm, Autolite Racing lose their gap same.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I use 91 octane mixed w Xylene, usually 1/2 pint to 2 1/2 gal of gas. I pull my race plugs and put in some old sooty plugs. I do this in and out of my trailer, shop and during warm up. My system is home made, I'm able to warm up to about 2500 rpm

Posts: 46 | Location: Lubbock TX | Registered: December 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Always the cheapest race gas i can buy at the track. Only used generator gas once, didn't like it.

Posts: 374 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 00 DEAD ON
posted Hide Post
I use Av Gas. Low lead 100 in my primer system. I run a terminator and use the gas to put heat in the motor and drive around pits

Brian Mollison
2009 RaceTech Dragster
2020 Sumerduck Dragway VA Top ET Champion
2017 Sumerduck Top ET & SSS Track Champion
2017 MAC Top ET Track Champion
2009 Sumerduck Dragway Va Top ET & IHRA SSS Track Champion
2008 IHRA Division 1 Top ET Bracket Final Runner-up
2007 Colonial Beach Dragway Top ET Track Champion

Posts: 1026 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
My 15:1 582 was never happy with 100% pump gas. I always used race gas cut with 93 pump gas. I was unbelievable how it acted the few time I tried pump gas.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12172 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post