DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    XS 16V Battery ro Rock 16V Battery Charging
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

XS 16V Battery ro Rock 16V Battery Charging
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted
So my XS battery took a crap at the track this weekend. Been dealing with a gremlin for a while now. Car was completely re wired, XS battery was 5 months old and late in the rounds it would act as if it was dead out of no where when starting the car. Put the charger on it for a second and it would fire up and run like nothing was wrong. Then this weekend it decided to do it after first round. The car has an alternator and gets the charger after every round. So I know it was not dead, as the charger also cut off after about a minute of charging saying it was full.

Now I was loaned a Rock 16v battery. I don't know much about them other than its slightly taller than my XS. But can you use any 16v Battery Charger with them?

Also my XS Battery unfortunately is not covered under warranty. At the time no one had one avail other than Amazon. Amazon isn't a authorized seller so warranty from manufacturer doesn't apply.

Posts: 610 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Possible bad spot in the starter? I fought this a while back.

Posts: 147 | Location: Left of Center | Registered: February 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
The starter was changed, also starter solenoid. The curious question is would a bad spot in the starter cause an issue for the entire electrical system to act as if it was dead. Also make it drop volts on the digital dash gauge. Upon removing the XS battery 2 people thought they smelled a somewhat acid smell as well.

Posts: 610 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I use the rock charger with the XS batteries (D1600). The Schumacher 16V seems to over charge them near 20V, the rock is around 18.8V while charging.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lincoln:
Possible bad spot in the starter? I fought this a while back.

If its a bad spot in the starter it would happen even when starting in the pits etc.. If you happen to get it started after an episode try and look and see what the volts are before putting a charger on it. If those volts are 16 or below its a bad cell possibly, if its lower than 14 something is going on with that battery for sure.

Bad spots in starters for me have always resulted in just a clicking sound of the solenoid. It has never made the entire electrical system seem low.

Posts: 240 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I have used the Rock/Moroso charger for years on XS 16 volts batteries. The only 16v battery I ever had fail was a Rock battery after 2 years.
Best charger on the market IMO

Posts: 2487 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You could also have a heat soaked starter. Even if the starter is new did you have the same issue with the old starter? You may just have a heat soak issue. Maybe some others here who have had heat soak issues can chime in.

Posts: 240 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
Im not familiar with heat soak. The starter is not that close to the headers, probably 5-7 inches away.

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Be mindful of the type of generator you use with computer chip controlled chargers. I had charger issues and the root cause was not using a inverter generator. Proper and regulated voltage is important.

Posts: 1250 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post