DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Electrical Gremlin
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electrical Gremlin
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted
Hey everyone, I have what appears to be an electrical gremlin. The symptoms include:

*High speed miss. Started at around 7000RPM, then 5000RPM, then 6000RPM.
*Random instances of shutting the car off with the ignition switch and the car doesn't shut off unless I flip the master disconnect switch. Then it acts normally again.
*Random instances where I turn the ignition switch on and it takes a few seconds for it to actually power on. Also a delay when shutting off the car.
*Tachometer randomly jumps upwards of 400 to 500 RPM.

I've changed the following making one change at a time: Coil, plugs, plug wires, ignition box (from 6AL/2 step module selector to 6AL2), master disconnect, ignition switch in the switch panel, distributor, cap, rotor, master disconnect. I've unplugged/disconnected the alternator as well. Checked all grounds.

Car was rewired several years ago. I do see one ignitor wire on the fan relay that has gotten hot and intend on replacing that relay (fan still works).

I'm running a 6AL, however the miss was still there when switching to a 6AL2 which eliminated the 2 step module selector.

I'm planning on throwing a different tach on the car as I'm wondering if there's some sort of feedback through the tach to the ignition box.

Any advise on how to attack this issue?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David_D.,

David Deming
1974 Chevy Nova Custom Hatchback
Horsepower Innovations E85 Carb

Posts: 338 | Location: Nampa, ID | Registered: October 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Well, it is a little late to tell you to change / replace one thing at a time, sooooo....... Wink

Run on with the ign. switch off is usually related to the alternator feed not having a diode, but I have no clue how much O.E. wiring you're using. ?

Yes to unplugging the tach, usually that is the first thing to do.

Ignition on / off delays?
Are there relays involved? Confused

We need a LOT more information.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1809 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You mentioned you changed the ignition switch, but did you change the wires to it as well?

If you’re using a K&R wiring panel, I’d try taking that out of the equation and run a separate switch to the ignition for testing.

Posts: 740 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
What brand/ model relay panel and toggle switch panel are you using?

Posts: 2640 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
Well, it is a little late to tell you to change / replace one thing at a time, sooooo....... Wink

Run on with the ign. switch off is usually related to the alternator feed not having a diode, but I have no clue how much O.E. wiring you're using. ?

Yes to unplugging the tach, usually that is the first thing to do.

Ignition on / off delays?
Are there relays involved? Confused

We need a LOT more information.

I did replace one thing at at time. Updated post to indicate that.

I've run all new wiring, however I'll have to check if I used a diode on the alternator wire. It's a two wire alternator. This issue just started happening out of nowhere, and the car was re-wired several years ago.

David Deming

Posts: 338 | Location: Nampa, ID | Registered: October 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
What brand/ model relay panel and toggle switch panel are you using?

It's a panel that I built myself. I can't remember exactly what brand relays I used on this panel, however I generally use PICO brand.

The switch panel is a Painless and it's been in the car for quite a while.

David Deming

DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Change/Add grounds. Same thing happened to my wife's car a few years back. Changed/swapped everything. Drove me crazy, car worked fine for years then started having a miss. I changed and added grounds EVERYWHERE from directly off the battery including added them to BOTH cylinder heads. The next weekend the issue was gone.
Don't know which one ground fixed it but it didn't matter at that point.

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 968 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David_D.:It's a panel that I built myself. I can't remember exactly what brand relays I used on this panel, however I generally use PICO brand.

The only item you did not list replacing was the relay that the ignition ON switch is wired to (ignition ON relay). Was that relay replaced?

Posts: 2640 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by David_D.:It's a panel that I built myself. I can't remember exactly what brand relays I used on this panel, however I generally use PICO brand.

The only item you did not list replacing was the relay that the ignition ON switch is wired to (ignition ON relay). Was that relay replaced?

That is correct. I don't have the switch panel powered through a relay.

David Deming

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Sounds Simple....But check your Battery Cable connections..Clean, bright and shiny and tight..
Replace the Battery if you have a good test one available....Have seen Bizzare issues with Batteries...Have seen good techs tell me the Cable Connections were good....and they were crap

Posts: 235 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David_D.:
quote:
quote:

That is correct. I don't have the switch panel powered through a relay.

NOT the switch panel being powered through a relay. I’m talking about what relay feeds the ignition ON for MSD, tach and whatever else it’s tied to. Does the Ignition ON switch not power a relay??

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
I have a fuse block that is powered directly to the battery, and a fuse block that is powered by ignition switch ON. Neither of those are through a relay. All of my accessories are triggered through relays.

I think I need to be looking at anything that can feed back to the ignition box. As stated, I'm going to replace the tach with an older unit I have here. I've heard of faulty tachometers causing issues.

David Deming

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S/S Dart:
Sounds Simple....But check your Battery Cable connections..Clean, bright and shiny and tight..
Replace the Battery if you have a good test one available....Have seen Bizzare issues with Batteries...Have seen good techs tell me the Cable Connections were good....and they were crap

I've also heard this about batteries. I'll plan on switching it out as a test.

David Deming

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Remove the wires from the alternator and see what it does. The delay when you turn the ignition on and a delay shutting off doesn't make sense. What are you using for an ignition switch? 6AL should have a heavy power wire direct to the battery power and a heavy ground direct to battery ground, no other junk on that line has to be clean. Ignition switch just triggers the 6AL box to turn on.

Posts: 1560 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
any battery or power wire that is soldered and in heat shrink can cause issues if the solder joint goes bad.been there done that.

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1460 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David_D.: I have a fuse block that is powered directly to the battery, and a fuse block that is powered by ignition switch ON. Neither of those are through a relay. All of my accessories are triggered through relays.

I don’t understand how this is wired and would need to see a diagram to make sense of it. This being your design, you have more knowledge of it.

The statement below from your initial post is the part that is the most confusing and I’m guessing goes back to the Ign ON wiring method.

*Random instances of shutting the car off with the ignition switch and the car doesn't shut off unless I flip the master disconnect switch. Then it acts normally again.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Do you have a relay triggered by the ignition switch that is powered by the battery? Possibly that is backfeeding???

Posts: 1560 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
What alternator are you running?

quote:
I'll have to check if I used a diode on the alternator wire. It's a two wire alternator.

If it's a Delco style, you need to replace the regulator with a one wire style, or, the diode that comes with the MSD must be installed in the ignition feed to the regulator to prevent the run on. But not always, it's hit and miss.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1809 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
What alternator are you running?

quote:
I'll have to check if I used a diode on the alternator wire. It's a two wire alternator.

If it's a Delco style, you need to replace the regulator with a one wire style, or, the diode that comes with the MSD must be installed in the ignition feed to the regulator to prevent the run on. But not always, it's hit and miss.

I’ll check the wire that needs the diode to see if I have one installed.

David Deming

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
Do you have a relay triggered by the ignition switch that is powered by the battery? Possibly that is backfeeding???

I have several relays powered by the battery when the ignition is on. They aren’t triggered until I turn on the accessories that they power. I need to test those relays for failure.

David Deming