Find
Notify
Tools

BTE 5500 stall
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted
I have just received my new BTE converter. Also have decided to use the castorol transend 668 fluid. If this does indeed have 5500 stall what leave chip would you use.
Car is 650 ish hp 2500 lb. sbc
with a 14/32 tire.

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Box or no box car?, I'm @ 2800lb and .500 pro tree racing I'm at 3K to go .010-.020 w/no box with a 5800 stall w/Pro tree brake. Box racing 4K about 1.020 in the box. SS/T racing at 4K and .025-.030 in the box about the same SBC HP as you.

Posts: 608 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I usually have about 4400 chip with 6400 stall.
With 5500 stall I would start about 3500-4000.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Our top bulb small block stuff is 4000-4400. I recently started bottom bulb racing I left between 3400-4400 with little to no change in ET.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I agree with others, 3000 – 4000 will be fine, pick a chip. If 5500 rated stall is actual, probably won’t flash higher than 5200-5300.

My question is what diff gear and 1st gear?

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
It is a top bulb car with PTC glide 180 st cut and 514 r&p

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Depends on how the car leaves the line.
If it's going to pull the wheels, give it enough RPMs to make sure it snatches the tires up clean every time. Lower RPM to let it roll out, but staging becomes more critical.
My car seems to be happy at 4100-4200, but it's 3250# and a 2.10/1.40 TH400

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1662 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SP 124X:
Our top bulb small block stuff is 4000-4400. I recently started bottom bulb racing I left between 3400-4400 with little to no change in ET.

The ET may not change much but your reaction times may with launch RPM.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:
Originally posted by SP 124X:

The ET may not change much but your reaction times may with launch RPM.

It absolutely changes reaction time/delay.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
With a top bulb car who cares set the low side chip, I would shoot for 4K and adjust the box to get your R/T

Posts: 608 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HR3377:
With a top bulb car who cares set the low side chip, I would shoot for 4K and adjust the box to get your R/T

Yep

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4466 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
D*mn. You poor bastages. Who knew? Frown Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
Help, I did some trading for this new BTE converter and it is new in the box. The person I got it from called BTE and was told 5500 stall for 575 to 625 SBC. On a whim I called and was told at 625 this was a 64 to 6500. It is a #389708 8" does anyone know anything about this one?

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Here’s my question. What rpm does your present converter flash to leaving the starting line??

If it were me, I’d put it in and see what it does. If it truly is 64-6500 stall for your engine, it should flash to 61-6200 (in average DA weather), which imho, would be most consistent for an et bracket sbc with over 600 hp. If it isn’t what you want for flash stall, send it back with information of how it performs and have them re-stall it. Now you get what you want if corrected properly.

Here’s where an ignition like MSD Grid is valuable. When you send your converter back, you include the printed rpm graphs of the runs with the DA information. When the builder looks at this, it can help them make the needed adjustment to achieve your goal.

I can almost guarantee you that when you give a converter builder all your sbc engine information and ask their advice it’ll end up at a 5XXX rpm window (pic a # between 5001 – 5999). And they’ll tell you that’s what you need and want. I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, and I get it.

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:

If it were me, I’d put it in and see what it does. If it truly is 64-6500 stall for your engine, it should flash to 61-6200 (in average DA weather), which imho, would be most consistent for an et bracket sbc with over 600 hp. If it isn’t what you want for flash stall, send it back with information of how it performs and have them re-stall it. Now you get what you want if corrected properly.

100% on this.

Denis LeBlanc

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Little Chief:
Help, I did some trading for this new BTE converter and it is new in the box. The person I got it from called BTE and was told 5500 stall for 575 to 625 SBC. On a whim I called and was told at 625 this was a 64 to 6500. It is a #389708 8" does anyone know anything about this one?

Without knowing anything about your particular combination, I think you lucked into a much better bracket converter than you thought you were getting, especially for 1/8 mile. Assuming this last person you spoke with is correct, of course.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
I was speaking with Neil at BTE. After my cataract surgery heals it will be installed. Thanks Guys

DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
Third time may be a charm, I called BTE again yesterday with new information and spoke to Brandon. He was very receptive to my questions and concerns and did advise me to return for a makeover to be 5800 to 6000. The 6600 would be to loose in his opinion. Thank you for your Help everyone

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Are you going to try it first? I would.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
Are you going to try it first? I would.

Geeze heck yes. I would. If one is ever to error on one side it's best in a bracket car to error on the loose side. Too loose for some is just right for a bracket car.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post