DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    .060" BBC head gasket?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.060" BBC head gasket?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
The outer edge of my pistons are hitting the head with .050" head gaskets ...* I'd like to find .060"-.065" gaskets...Not copper...Is there somebody besides Cometic making them?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4496 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
Dave I know you stated no copper.
At least take a look at these SCE-S13526. Copper coat on the bottom of the gasket seals all of the water passages. The have an integrated O ring built into the gasket as well. You will need to retorque after a couple of heat cycles.
Good Vibrations has them in stock.
A bit pricey but reusable.

They have worked well for me.
The Fel Pro 1093 is the thickest I have found in a composite

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2042 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Williams:
Dave I know you stated no copper.
At least take a look at these SCE-S13526. Copper coat on the bottom of the gasket seals all of the water passages. The have an integrated O ring built into the gasket as well. You will need to retorque after a couple of heat cycles.
Good Vibrations has them in stock.
A bit pricey but reusable.

They have worked well for me.
The Fel Pro 1093 is the thickest I have found in a composite

I recommend retorqing heads after a few heat cycles no matter what head gasket you use.

I lost a head gasket one time and started retorquing them, There are always some that needed it and I have never lost one since I started torquing them again.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4129 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
The outer edge of my pistons are hitting the head with .050" head gaskets ...* I'd like to find .060"-.065" gaskets...Not copper...Is there somebody besides Cometic making them?

Cometic makes .060", what motor?

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cometic makes .060". What motor?

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
BBC 4.500" bore I know Cometic makes them but there's usually a wait AND like $400 for a pair....just checking for an alternative first...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4496 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Since you probably have some witness marks in the chamber why not just take a burr to where they hit? Probably lose less CC's than .010 more gasket volume.
Or hit the pistons with a burr.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad News:
Since you probably have some witness marks in the chamber why not just take a burr to where they hit? Probably lose less CC's than .010 more gasket volume.
Or hit the pistons with a burr.

This /\ Will not take much and will not hurt anything. You only need to sand a few thousandths off of both piston and the head to gain a lot of clearance. Also as for the gaskets look on Ebay often you can find the head gaskets there when Jegs and Summit are out of stock and often at a good price.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4129 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
BBC 4.500" bore I know Cometic makes them but there's usually a wait AND like $400 for a pair....just checking for an alternative first...

Felpro does also. I have never paid that much for a pair, not even close.

I would not tweak the heads, you will chase that forever. For bracket stuff with that bore I use .055" piston to head clearance as a min. If they are just touching the heads now, with that gasket thickness, you must have zero deck or the pistons are out of the hole unless they are really loose in the bore.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Problem I found is you can find correct thickness but then they kick the bore way out and I’m not giving up compression!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4561 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cgt-c5330-060

Racers pro acct prob save your 15-25?

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4561 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cgt-c5330-060

Racers pro acct prob save your 15-25?

Pro Shop price is $123.00, a savings of about $11.00 ea.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2642 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Amazon price is better than the Pro Shop!

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2642 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by B KING:
Amazon price is better than the Pro Shop!

2BKING
Relaxing[/QUOTE

I couldn’t find the GTO DRCE 2 cometics anywhere! Found them on Amazon and cheaper too! Bought 4 of them.

Raceless in California!

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

Felpro does also. I have never paid that much for a pair, not even close.

Can't find a .060 FelPro

Dave

F J B

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I hate to say it but pistons and heads have already clearances themselves. Just lightly sand / blend and take a few thousandths extra and you are good. Engine builder should have checked and did that before it left shop. Not a big deal you are not removing much material.

Using a thicker head gasket will give you better safety margin.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can't find a .060 FelPro

1075-061?

Actually getting your hands on a set may be a different story.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3185 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I hate to say it but pistons and heads have already clearances themselves. Just lightly sand / blend and take a few thousandths extra and you are good. Engine builder should have checked and did that before it left shop. Not a big deal you are not removing much material.

Using a thicker head gasket will give you better safety margin.

When I built this motor about 20yrs ago I set it for .045" clearance which should have been fine for a steel rod, 7000rpm, light piston engine...I have let it get away from me a few times on the burn-out, and that may be when the "tagging" is happening...I ordered the Cometic .060" gaskets and I'll use them to scribe the head and touch up the areas that are hitting. I think if I had done that with the .050" gaskets it would have been ok, but it also isn't letting carbon build up on the flats/quench of the pistons, so I'll move it up to the .060" Cometics to put an end to the whole problem. I built the motor with 15.3-1 compression and certainly can afford to lose some...
I also recently put a burn-out button on the steering wheel so that over revving won't be a problem again.

Dave

F J B

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
Can't find a .060 FelPro

1075-061?

Actually getting your hands on a set may be a different story.

I used to use that gasket every once in a while years ago at my shop. But if I remember correctly it was for a 4.380" bore. I also remember it was discontinued I believe....

Dave

F J B