DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Hoosier drag radial vs bracket radial
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoosier drag radial vs bracket radial
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
I am looking at the drag radial 31.5x13.5r 15 vs 31x11.5r 15. Either size will fit my application. Question: what is the difference between drag radial and bracket radial? [speaking of on-track performance at a well-prepped, good track]

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1860 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I’ve run the 30 x 9 drag radial and the 28 x 9 drag bracket radial. I haven’t noticed a ton of difference.

The bracket radial may have a little more emphasis on longevity, but if I were in your shoes I would opt for the extra 2” footprint.

I stick with the 28” bracket radial because the 30” tire would rub the quarter panel on a hot turn and I could use a little extra gear ratio.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3202 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
Larry, my car came with Hoosier bias 13.5's, and I switched to try the MT 13.5 x 31 bracket radials. Love them. Car only varies about .002-.003 on the 60 ft throughout the day, and works on hot or cold tracks. Very little burnout. Car 60ft is around 1.33x depending on which track I'm at. When the were hard to get, I was getting ready to try the Hoosier radial, but MT started making them again, so I never tried the Hoosiers

Posts: 106 | Location: PA | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I finally convinced my brother to try radials on his backhalfed '67 Camaro, and he went with the non-DBR 32/13.5R-15 C06 tire. It was instantly the most consistent that car has ever been.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3202 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TPaton:
Larry, my car came with Hoosier bias 13.5's, and I switched to try the MT 13.5 x 31 bracket radials. Love them. Car only varies about .002-.003 on the 60 ft throughout the day, and works on hot or cold tracks. Very little burnout. Car 60ft is around 1.33x depending on which track I'm at. When the were hard to get, I was getting ready to try the Hoosier radial, but MT started making them again, so I never tried the Hoosiers

I panicked and bought a set of the 29.5x10.5 DBR Hoosiers just in case I couldn't get the 29.5x10.5 M/T PBR.
The Hoosier is so HUGE, can't even get it close to the wheel studs.

The M/T PBR's are the best thing since sliced bread.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1771 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna try a set of M/T PBR's on my Nova when I get it back together. I've always run Hoosier bias ply slicks. Curious to see how they do.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 777 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomR:
I'm gonna try a set of M/T PBR's on my Nova when I get it back together. I've always run Hoosier bias ply slicks. Curious to see how they do.

As long as the car works well enough, you won't ever go back to bias.

Tony Leonard

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I would like to hear more about the Hoosier DBRs & wouldn't mind testing them, but I don't want to switch to a smaller diameter tire to do it. Goob, brought up the 29.5x10.5 DBR & I would have that same issue. I wouldn't mind a 30x9 DBR but I'm pretty sure they only have a 28x9.

I have tested/raced on 3 different Hoosier 30x9 radials over many years, probably around 15 years. In C30, C06 & C07 compounds both lightweight & standard weight. My newest tire Hoosier is in the link below. I only have 9 passes on them but got in the money with them. I'm pretty sure I can win on them also.

I'm on my 4th set of M/T PBR 29.5x10.5s over the last 4-5 years & these are my primary go to tire.

I love all the radials I have ran, they are quicker & faster than a bias slick. I also think they're more consistent. I only give a slight advantage to the PBRs for consistency. That's why they're my primary tire, but I'm always testing to improve.

https://www.hoosiertire.com/im...8213_C30%20(002).pdf

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2698 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Jodie Jent
posted Hide Post
I use to run the M/T 3055S 28x10.5S-15 and made the switch this spring to the M/T 3055R 28x10.5-15 PBR. I was skeptical on the radials before installing, but have had zero issues out of them. No et pickup for me, but I will install them again as the car seems much better overall on the radials.

98 Firebird with carbureted alcohol 5.3 ls running 6.50-60's...

Posts: 496 | Location: Owingsville, Ky. | Registered: June 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
BKIng ,
I have only ever run radials .
I have run the Hoosier 30x10.5R15 , 30x9 .
Goodyear 30x9R15
PBR 29.5 /
Also ETSS in 275 + Hoosier 275 + PBR 28x10.5
Best is PBR for overall consistancy , might chirp/turn occasionaly but wont spin .
Hoosier were similar to GY - a bit more sensitive to track prep and wouldnt take transbrake over 3000 2step .
Could only get around 80 passes or so on Hoosier , I normally go around 150/160 on PBR . Havent run GY out yet so not sure how many .
GY and Hoosier are 1/2 tenth quicker on average and maybe 1/4-1/2 mph . Most et gain is from after the 60 .
I know some say small burnout out only on radials - not for my Satellite .But not a John Force one either .
Woodfin sorry for hijack

Tex

Posts: 71 | Location: Oz | Registered: March 16, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your radial only experience. Like stated earlier, I've only about 15 years on them. The other 20 years were on biased ply.

Radials are the best in my book & hope to eventually try out the Goodyears.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2698 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post