DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    simplify and clean up wiring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

simplify and clean up wiring
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Trying to simplify car. Wiring part of it. Trying to make eaeier to fix in case of and less mess.

While I have lot less stuff on car than most here I do have a bunch of wiring. The data logger is pretty good wiring wise.

The RPM kit would probably help but again costly for something that can be done w/o cost.

Question one. Transbarake and everything that activates off it. Any reason I can not rub wire from delay to a distribution block and connect there, Thinking run the wire to the solenoid and tapping into it then to block with a fuse in the middle. The fuse should eliminate anything stupid affecting trans brake operation. Think 2 step,SLE with deal off and one rpm activate swirch all off TB. Good and bad idea?

Main question is there reason not to have distribution block and fuse for transbrake activated items?

Simplifing ideas welcome. Yea not abracket racer and use to heads up oro cars that run data logger and very few other wiring itemsa dn even with other wiring. The main concern.DO NOT BURN THEM OFF .LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I have no fuses on any of the race car "business" stuff.
Especially never fuse a trans brake or line lock.

I do have a fusible link on every power source. This will prevent a system meltdown or fire hazard, while ensuring that you will NEVER have a system failure from a defective Chinese fuse or inadequate connection point.

In my case all of the original wiring is still intact and operable, I simply added all of the race related wiring stand alone.

Keep it simple.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I use terminal strips with jumper straps for distribution including on the TB output. Never use fuses on the TB output but I fuse the delay box

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Everything feed from the relay board (delay box, LL,TB) is properly fused. Devices wired to the battery are fused, with the exception of the relay board, starter and alternator that pass through a manual disconnect.

All external relays and solenoids (to include trans brake / line lock) have external or internal diodes across the coil.

I use the Clean bus / Dirty bus wiring method and isolate the ecu, digital dash and ignition control.

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Use CAN buss for anything you can. Basically one/two wire wiring

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Not talking fuse for trans brake it self but for i9tems feeding off i9t.Stuff like activated by transbake button like two step ,solenoids and such. just a case of short between the two it will blow fuse and not affect trans brake operation.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
WTH was I thinking. Guess I forgot how much of job it was last time. I did look good when done but added few things since and see few ways to simplify, downsize wires, fewer switches, and less for the driver to do during runs. Hey iold due can't remember all ths new shyt like cooling fans,setting sle and computer start. About to chunk it all. run transbrake with delay box and call it good. Hell be less weight too.Plus my old Nova was deadly consistent with just that,driver not so much.