Find
Notify
Tools

Chassis Cert
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Ed,
You are right, the manufacturers tag is not in the rule book. But it is in the 25.1 SFI spec.
So if you have a 7.49 or faster door car, you will need a tag. Not sure about dragsters, but it is probably the same.

Posts: 2 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I know I'm right. Wink

That said, SECTION 4B ADVANCED E.T.
6.00 (*3.66) to 7.49 (*4.49) seconds covers the ET you are referring to.

Per this section...

"ROLL CAGE
Full-bodied cars must meet SFI Spec 25.1, 25.2, or 25.3;
All rear-engine dragsters must meet SFI Spec 2.1 or 2.5. See General Regulations 4:4, 4:11, 10:6."

Now with that said, few bracket racers are running 7.49 and quicker in a door car! Those that are, had their chassis built by professionals that know the SFI spec they must build to and what it requires. So if that spec requires a "builder's tag" it has it.

Meanwhile, none of this effects the OP, me nor 99.9% of those with door cars that are being bracket raced.

As to rear engine dragsters running 7.49 and quicker, they all have builder's tags.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
it must not affect 8.50 cert because I just got mine recertified last week and nothing was said about it.

ep

Posts: 763 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Ed IF this is required at all, it’s for cars running 7.49 and quicker in the 1/4 mile.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
A builders tag is required for any SFI chassis. It states this in every SFI spec book and I also forgot a tag on one of my customers cars and the inspector called me to yell at me cause were friends.....lol.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
definitely not for a 8.50 chassis/cert.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
I've never put a tag on an 8.50 cert, but I don't believe I've built an 8.50 cage in at least three years. Almost everything I do is SFI stuff.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
as I stated above...

quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

few bracket racers are running 7.49 and quicker in a door car! Those that are, had their chassis built by professionals that know the SFI spec they must build to and what it requires. So if that spec requires a "builder's tag" it has it.

Meanwhile, none of this effects the OP, me nor 99.9% of those with door cars that are being bracket raced.

As to rear engine dragsters running 7.49 and quicker, they all have builder's tags.

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
My car is certified to 7.50 or slower. My SFI book here says it's a 25.4 chassis. The book however is dated June 14, 2002. It was last certified in Dec 2017. Before the discussion on the "builders tag" happened.

My SFI book states in Section II, Paragraph 3, "The manufacturer must label each chassis with the manufacturers name and serial number, as well as the date of manufacture of the chassis. Such identification shall be on the Driver Side Primary Door Diagonal (Tube #16A)."

NHRA rules 4.11 Roll cage clearly state, "full bodied cars running 8.49 and/or exceeding 180 MPH must meet applicable SFI for ET and weight."

So apparently this rule has been there for years and was never really enforced. Looks like I may need a tag if the inspectors are now looking for it. I'm glad I posted the original question. Thanks guys.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nomad,

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
no builder's tag required for non Advanced ET cars, meaning 7.50 and slower. I checked this morning

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
I had to wait until I got a 25.5 book(7.50 to 8.49 et) in my hands to verify this, but the exact quote is "The manufacturer MUST label each chassis with the manufacturer's name and serial number, as well as date of manufacture of chassis. Such identification shall be on driver side primary door diagonal (tube #16a)

Maybe Div 1 doesn't care what SFI says, but I can tell you Div 3 follows SFI specs.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
division 1 follows the rule book

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Definitely only 7.49 and faster or maybe 8.49 and faster on a door car. On the same day I got two 8.50 certs with no tags and my 6.00 dragster cert I needed to sand the hammer tone powdercoat off tag so it could be read. That was the second time my car was getting a 6.00 tag.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
The current NHRA rule book online states "full bodied cars running 8.49 and quicker and/ exceeding 180 mph must meet applicable SFI specification for e.t. and weight" Since it does specify a manufacturers tag is required in the SFI specs, it would seem someone is incorrect. This section in the rulebook 4:11 covers basically all full bodied classes including e.t. cars.

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
I'm going to make a tag and install it on bar 16A.

The last thing I want to have happen is get to some far off Div 2 race without it and have some (I'm gonna be a hard ass) tech inspector ask why my 7.50 and slower car doesn't have that damn tag.

I feel that there are two ways to interpret this rule.

First is: My car has never run faster than 8.70 @ 155 and change and will never go fast enough to need that tag.

Or second: That chassis is certified to go 7.50 regardless if it can't NOW but, it can with an engine change so it needs the tag.

SFI is pretty clear about this but, NHRA has muddied things with the 8.49 180 MPH rules. Nitwits.

For the record I don't think I need the tag but, for the little time and expense, I'll install one.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
I called a chassis inspector today to ask this question because my car is due for recert in March. Division 3 and he says its been an SFI rule for years but was not enforced. He said he has never failed a cert because of it but would prefer me to install one.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
I'm scheduled for a chassis cert on the 23rd. I'll tack this on the 16A bar tomorrow.

Some .062 (16ga I think) exhaust tube, a 1/4" stamp set, tack it on, and we're good to good.

Aries Race Cars because I was born in March.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
You Da Man

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nomad:
I'm scheduled for a chassis cert on the 23rd. I'll tack this on the 16A bar tomorrow.

Some .062 (16ga I think) exhaust tube, a 1/4" stamp set, tack it on, and we're good to good.

Aries Race Cars because I was born in March.

Looks official to me..lots of numbers and names ..exactly what nhra likes to see....blind them with brillance or baffle them with BS...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
That is exactly what they told me they would like to have.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post