DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Ford brake calipers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford brake calipers
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted
I got a Nova that has a 9in Ford in it. I am trying to replace the calipers buy I'm not sure which ones they are .

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SuQWnLYRqS7Y1GnA7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9JrHsiucbySNzpGS8

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Looks like maybe GM style caliper with the stupid E-brake set up? say mid late 90' 2000's grand prix?

Posts: 608 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
if mounting bolts are 5 1/2" spread front calipers off 80 malibu will work

Posts: 25 | Location: Iowa | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
With you in NC and not sure had to look. I built a 66 Nova that had junkyard brakes built to fit. Had Aluminum Fiero on the front with Pinto rotors and for the life of me can not remember what was on the rear.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention these are rear brakes.

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of SuperPro54
posted Hide Post
1979-1985 Cadillac Seville
Mounting Bolt Center to Center 5.50"

Posts: 109 | Location: Florida - Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
Do you think if it's a Ford 9in it would be Ford calipers?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I think those are from 70s Lincoln version of the Granadas I think it was called a Versailles

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you keep those calipers on the car I'd suggest swapping them side to side. From the pics it looks like the bleeders are on the bottom that will make it very hard to get all of the air out.

And I'm pretty sure it's a 82-88 Camaro caliper.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Agree with Denis. Here’s a 1986 Camaro rear.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: markemark,

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
If you have some time, a good wholesale auto parts store may be able to send them out for rebuild & return. The rebuilder can probably identify them for you for the future.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
is the picture upside down or the calipers are on wrong bleeder needs to be at the top

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 253 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
Can I just change to a updated caliper or will I have to change brackets and calipers to match?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Novacaine:
Can I just change to a updated caliper or will I have to change brackets and calipers to match?

Before you spend the time and money to upgrade the calipers swap them side to side and get the bleeders on top.

I don't want to sound rude but it honestly took me a few minutes on Google to find out what calipers you had. If you can't take the time to find out what you have and what you can use you might need more than Internet help.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
My intentions was to replace them since I had replaced the front ones.. I just didn't know what ones they were. So since I was going to replace them I thought maybe a new version would be good at this time...

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Definately not versaille calipers.

Posts: 39 | Location: ohio | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
they look like 82 to 86 front Camaro calipers. I ordered some from autozone...

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
That doesn't look at all like a front caliper... it looks like it has a parking brake adjuster.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Novacaine: they look like 82 to 86 front Camaro calipers. I ordered some from autozone...

The rears look like fronts because they are same casting shape, same bolt pattern and use the same pads as fronts.

When you purchase GM Front calipers, you Do Not want the Low Drag models that came with many cars of that aira. Low Drag calipers will have the piston falling back slightly when the brakes are released. They also required a special master cylinder that delivers the added fluid to compress front brakes without using more brake pedal to activate. This Low Drag model is not what you want on a manual master cylinder car. It uses more pedal to collapse.

When looking at the caliper you can’t determine if it’s low drag or not. I’ve read that installing a block of wood in caliper to stop piston travel, and compressed air to force the piston out, one can determine if the piston returns slightly when air is removed. When you purchase re-man calipers (this is everything from Autozone and others) you won’t know what you’re getting. If you have low drag on a car it’s easy to determine. With the wheel off the ground, step on brake and then release. The wheel will spin effortlessly and you can wiggle the inner brake pad because they’ll be a .020” or larger gap.

I put new stock style metric calipers on the front of my 83 Camaro when one failed and ordered AFCO Metric GM Calipers 6635003/4 AFCO at Summit that are new castings and non-low drag models. Made in China.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Here’s some good info on GM Metric low drag calipers.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/...ipers-fixed.1202460/