DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Anoither paint question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anoither paint question
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Dang picking a painting tools and supplys lot more to look at than picking right cam for car.

So still looking at which gun to buy and stock piling some supplys.Stuff like sand apaper,paint stainers and such pretty simple shyt. Trying to figure out which brand of pant to work with about as many opinions as which gun.

Basically looking for quality paint that will exceed my ablitly but not mgnify it. Probably not take much tom exceed my skill but do not want to spend ton extra for paint that I do not really need either. House of color use to be the higher end and while great I guess I am not ready to be spraying higher end stuff.

So what brand of paint would you recommend to give nice job provided I do my part yet not make me look worst than I maybe because of lousy product? Not looking to blow bank account but also n ot going for lousy product to save frw dollars.

If it matteres. Main color is metalic blue, striping is yellow with orange fade over it, magenta and darker stripe around if. yea Same as out funny car Starr Rider. Pics can be found online and youtube of car. if an y of that matter in which products may be better choice.

Lookijng at Napa storte stuff.One near by. few other suppliers just not sure brand the3y caryy.

So help a paint illiterate out with good suggestion of decent quality midium price range paint. Figure keeping all paint and thinners reducers same product line not bad idea for spray gun virigin and hopeing not to well myself.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4405 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
PPG is one of the most common, really good brands out there.

My new car is painted with Spies Hecker paint, very expensive stuff but it is at the top tier of automotive paints.

But be prepared, ALL automotive body shop supplies are crazy expensive, even the cheap stuff.

Posts: 282 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Urechem

Posts: 192 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Already know prices are stupid and not going to get cheaper. It is what it is.

Not expecting it to be cheap. Hoping the work will keep cost down some.

Posts: 4405 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
just the clear coat on our car was 1k per gallon and it has 2 gallon...

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1412 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Always check with local shops to see what thedy are spraying. Some brands cover better others-cheaper -do not- colored sealer can be your freind it makes a hugh difference in amount of coats you will need to get it covered best bang for the buck is Akso-Nobels Wanda brand ya funny name great paint google it

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 426 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vetman:
Always check with local shops to see what thedy are spraying. Some brands cover better others-cheaper -do not- colored sealer can be your freind it makes a hugh difference in amount of coats you will need to get it covered best bang for the buck is Akso-Nobels Wanda brand ya funny name great paint google it

My race car is in the shop for body/paint. I'm pretty sure they stated they were using the AkzoNobel paint.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2698 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
ok I will check for colors available from shop near by. Finding a color chart on AkzoNobel is damn near impossible. I freaking hate looking for **** on intenet always going some place other than site needed. Easier to drive for store to store.

Thanks will see what I can find tomorrow

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I would listen to vetman, that's what he did or still does.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2698 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
We were looking to paint my wife's new car (278" dragster with wing). We started looking around and found out really fast that the price of paint was STUPID. My wife wanted several colors (6) with graphics. She started checking around and talked to a vinyl shop.
She got what she wanted in a wrap for LESS than the cost of just the paint and it was done in 2 days.
It was a no brainer.

Then you can put the $$$ you save into go fast parts.
Just a thought.

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 961 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I have hjad 3 companys look at wrap. All said better off with base coat of blue then wrap the graphics and with my layout that is consideration.

I kind of want to do the paint deal just to see how good of job I can do. For most part I found some good quality paints that I can do job for 2 to 2.5k in materials.. Now if can get the starr rider stripping with shooting star part done for 1k or so. I can just base prime,base coat and clear I would go for that.

I am not hard to please. Well unless I am doing the job,then I am total *******.LOL

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Thanks for olver preparring me guys,

Went to check prices on PPG line of paints and get idea of how much heaqrt attack I was going to have.

Looks like all materials are going to be 1200 to 1500 bucks. Less than was thinking and with som,e room for error on painters part.

I kn ow the other stuff adds upto. Been stock piling sandpaper,thinner,masking paper and going to get tape when starting job so as not to have sitting arouind too long in hot shop.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Now how long can I store primer and paints before using. Understand next day probably better. Figure can buy in either 3 trips over mopnth and half or so. I guess could try that new stuff call putting money back and getting all at once,just has never worked for me.LOL

Any problen with gathering stuff over 2 month period b4 starting?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Pick one system from one manufacturer and go with them tip to tail. If you pick PPG use their primer, sealer, base coat, and clear. If you go BASF do the same. I wouldn't have a problem storing primers, sealers, base coats, and even clear for months at a time assuming you have not opened any of the cans. Usually, you can put various clears on top of properly prepared/sprayed basecoats, but you may want to verify with the paint store before you do so. It's easiest to pick a system and go with it from start to finish, this option is usually the most expensive option, but eliminates lots of variables.

How long you have before they become un-useable becomes a game of chance that you only know when you open it and try to spray it. If you want the best chance at a successful paint job, buy your materials the week you intend to do your spray work. If you need primer this week but not paint, buy primer today and paint at a later date when you need it. I've seen years old basecoat that has been opened and used before, spray fine, I've also seen unopened, 2-month-old base coat be jelled up in the bottom of the can.

Posts: 425 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We are paint people and these days wraps are making more and more sense given paint and supply costs. Especially if you are doing something colorful

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 1018 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Think I stgated it here. I talked with nfew folks on wraps. Most said withy graphics I want I would be better off with base color clear coatged and then add grphics over them doing full lay out.

Basically using same colors in our funny car and trying to make graphics work on smaller area. Blue base with yellow with orange fade out lined with megenta and dark purple. SO 5 colors and clear coat.Sounds easy enough.LMAO!!!

Plus I kind of want to0 do it myself. I doubt will cost me near as much as turn key paint job, but about guarantee it will be little more than wrap. Plus hell Having enough trouble getting graphis to work to suit me myself.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Tripp-le Nickle.
I am going with one supplier one system. Figure yes maybe few hundred more,but less than redoing it. As I toild counter guy I am paint illiterate so edumacate me. Told what I am looking for and all advice was welcomed.

I know lots of guys switch between name brand for products like base and clears. I do not know enough to do that w/o it biting my a$$.

Heck never built a engine till I built my injecgted 454 and then my second was blown injected 526 Hemi that qualified ofr Winston Invational the first time out. Point always have toi have a first.