Find
Notify
Tools

55mm cam
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of 00 DEAD ON
posted
Is there any ET advantage with a 55mm cam over a standard cam with same specs????
Thanks in advance

Brian Mollison
2013 American Dragster
2020 Sumerduck Dragway VA Top ET Champion
2017 Sumerduck Top ET & SSS Track Champion
2017 MAC Top ET Track Champion
2009 Sumerduck Dragway Va Top ET & IHRA SSS Track Champion
2008 IHRA Division 1 Top ET Bracket Final Runner-up
2007 Colonial Beach Dragway Top ET Track Champion

Posts: 1028 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mitch H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 00 DEAD ON:
Is there any ET advantage with a 55mm cam over a standard cam with same specs????
Thanks in advance

In theory....yes. Might be too small to accurately measure though.

The bigger base circle you run, the more stable the valve train will be. Very important in high RPM applications such as pro stock engines. Not sure how big they are running these days? I know that just a year ago 75mm was pretty normal for them.

Posts: 154 | Location: PA | Registered: December 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Larger cam core will not break as easy or flex as much. Not sure how much flex is a problem but I have seen cams break and that makes a mess.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4039 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks in advance

NO

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
No et change if specs are the same, but there are advantages. Already mentioned, more stable valve train. Bigger core allows for better lobe design. You can make the same power with a less aggressive lobe. Also as mentioned, less cam flex. That could be worth a little power depending on grind, spring pressures, and cylinder pressure......

But there really aren't any drawbacks to them except for initial cost..I went with a 55mm cam in my stuff since I was getting a new block anyway. My head guy wants to put one of Pat Musi's cams in my stuff next time around, and I'll just need to drill the oil feed holes and pull the roller bearins, install babbit...He runs a 60mm core in his smaller engines....cost for me is the same as the 55mm......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1494 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
To go along with the 55mm cam discussion, can you fit a 4.75 stroke crank in a 10.2 block and a 55mm cam core without the two touching? Or does it require a raised cam block or a 4.625 stroke in the standard cam location block?

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You can, I wouldn't.

quote:
Originally posted by NC3x58:
To go along with the 55mm cam discussion, can you fit a 4.75 stroke crank in a 10.2 block and a 55mm cam core without the two touching? Or does it require a raised cam block or a 4.625 stroke in the standard cam location block?

Posts: 146 | Location: Left of Center | Registered: February 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks in advance

So as with many questions like this the answer is it really depends on the combo. If you are using a mild cam profiler with matching low pressure springs then no you would not see any difference on your time slip however once to move up to your typical TD/TS cams that many run these days with lifts at 1" or higher and spring pressures over 400 on the seat, you could, you would certainly see it on the dyno! Just changing push rods from 7/16", .185" to 1/2 or 5/8 is worth 10 to 15 HP, and that's with a raised cam block. In the big picture though, it's not one little thing that makes that much of a difference but when you string them together, that's when you will see it!

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lincoln:
You can, I wouldn't.

quote:

Not without modifying a few rods! I think you can get a 53 mm cam to work in that combo though without touching the rods (Steel ones)

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Watch the video. It's only a couple mins. They have 6.700 rods standard journal rods for BBC.

http://www.callies.com/catalog/product/ultra-xd/?

Posts: 97 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The answer is yes, bigger diameter cam cores have the latent potential for more engine output, in which torque and rpm are quantities of.

hp = torque x rpm / 5252

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Latent potential for rpm is latent potential for torque is latent potential for engine output.

This one is Loaded with latent potential for rpm.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Everywhere you look, the most basic drag racing fundamental is overlooked. rpm is the limiter.

It's also what makes pushrod drag racing really interesting, at any level boundaries are tested.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Hence the reason I wouldn't.

quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by Lincoln:
You can, I wouldn't.

quote:

Not without modifying a few rods! I think you can get a 53 mm cam to work in that combo though without touching the rods (Steel ones)

Posts: 146 | Location: Left of Center | Registered: February 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The Callies XD rods have the clearance needed built into them. The video on the link I shared shows this. No need to grind the rods in this situation.

Posts: 97 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHampshire:
The Callies XD rods have the clearance needed built into them. The video on the link I shared shows this. No need to grind the rods in this situation.

NOPE! They are just for SBC, not BBC's.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CHampshire:

NOPE! They are just for SBC, not BBC's.

Take your pick. H beam or I beam?

DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lincoln:
You can, I wouldn't.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NC3x58:

we do 54mm cams all the time , with Oliver rods , no grinding required ..

Posts: 784 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul S/Q:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lincoln:
You can, I wouldn't.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NC3x58:

we do 54mm cams all the time , with Oliver rods , no grinding required ..

Paul, I would not put those POS rods in Ed's lawnmower Cool ! And yes you can use a 53 mm cam with good rods in this combo.

Oliver had a really good product, then something happened, all on their end! where they would come apart with real low run counts, under 300! for normal BBC combo's. (The caps failed) This was 5 or so years ago. They denied everything! Maybe it's been fixed but they along with their rods can take long walk on a short pier!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
This is simple. The bigger the diameter of the cam, the quicker you can make the ramps, hence more lift under the curve. This will make more HP down low and mid range. However in a drag race application where we are WFO, and the RPM drop isn’t that great, the gain won’t be as much. If you were road racing and the RPM drop was bigger and happened more often, then more HP under the curve would help regain max RPM quicker and might be a good improvement.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post