DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Polishing SS headers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Polishing SS headers
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
I have a set of stainless headers that were not polished to begin with. What is the process of getting raw stainless to the polished state? I assume you can't just start with stainless polish. But I don't know. Oh, and what equipment to use?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
When you get done with yours I will send you mine to do.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
SS Polishing is easy if your header come apart all 4 tubes and Collectors buffing wheel on bigger bench grinder with 8 or 10 buffer wheel and metal polishing compound for Stainless steel it takes time but you can get them to a Mirror Like finish if you like

Posts: 34 | Location: rubicn wi. | Registered: December 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mxx68:
SS Polishing is easy if your header come apart all 4 tubes and Collectors buffing wheel on bigger bench grinder with 8 or 10 buffer wheel and metal polishing compound for Stainless steel it takes time but you can get them to a Mirror Like finish if you like

And as soon as you start you engine they will turn gold. SS headers are a PITA to keep looking good. Prevent the aggravation and get them coated

Posts: 2434 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I like real gold! Big Grin

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Before I retired I had a shop that manufactured stainless restaurant equipment and employed 4 people to polish stainless----My recommendation is forget it. First it is not simple and second its a lot of hard dirty work. Also there are many types of stainless, some impossible to get a good finish on.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted Hide Post
Get a thing of “ The Works” toilet bowl cleaner, take headers off get them wet out cleaner on and let set for a bit and wipe down each tube with a rag, rinse off. I usually take them to the car wash.

David Lanning

Lanning Electric

Team Mickey Thompson

Posts: 4658 | Location: Coldwater,MI | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I did a set of Borlas myself a long time ago with a kit I bought from Eastwood and a bench-mounted buffing wheel. It was a ton of work - it took many hours and made a huge mess, dust and bits of cotton were everywhere and I was covered head to toe.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 631 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Buck2248
posted Hide Post
Send them to Powerhouse Customs in Huntsville. Wendell will have them looking like chrome! Check them out on Facebook. and for a couple hundred $$ they are done.

Mike Buchwald

Posts: 538 | Location: Caledonia, Mississippi | Registered: January 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Natural finish or coating is starting to sound better and better!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
I don’t know how the SS tube manufactures polish the raw tubes. I do know the header shops that sell them buy it polished. My down swept performance welding headers came very shinny and with some regular work it was not hard keeping them sharp looking.
I’d call a header manufacturer and get the number of their SS supplier and ask.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
A lot of guys here use Lo KO in Oak Lawn. Does a real Nice Job. I'll throw up a set of Zoomies if you want.

https://lokocoatings.com/

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
A lot of guys here use Lo KO in Oak Lawn. Does a real Nice Job. I'll throw up a set of Zoomies if you want.

https://lokocoatings.com/

Throw them up?! Heck I want to see you eat them in the first place. Big Grin

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
lol... Built by Teds. You can't be that far from Oak Lawn?. I just talked to him and he said he paid $90.00 to do the Zoomies. Guys next door to me did their Titanium headers there, but in black
for their TAD.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner x2.

Will take the gold right off. The muriatic acid in the cleaner that strips off the tarnish. Once you get it good and cleaned follow up with a good polish.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
One thing that concerns me a bit about toilet cleaner is the amount of chlorides in it. I deal with stainless vessels at work, and chloride induced stress corrosion cracking can be a real problem. However, it may take longer term exposure than just cleaning. Not sure.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
Picture of sst5167
posted Hide Post
I literally just spent the day polishing my wife's stainless headers yesterday. Hers were already polished, but were in dire need of some love again.
If yours are not polished, but not scratched up very much, I would start with 600 grit sand paper. Then 800, then 1000. Then a final wet sand with 1500. If you have a Harbor Freight near by, pick up a polishing kit that can be chucked up into a drill (I would recommend a corded drill). Start with a green rouge, then finish it off with a white rouge.
It is a TON of work, and a HUGE mess! But if you like shiny stuff, the results are very rewarding!
If you are a patient person, that doesn't mind a little elbow grease, I'd say go for it. But if you hate detailed, time consuming projects, then I'd recommend not even attempting it.

Hope this helps!

Mike Boehner

Posts: 93 | Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ | Registered: January 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sst5167:
I literally just spent the day polishing my wife's stainless headers yesterday. Hers were already polished, but were in dire need of some love again.
If yours are not polished, but not scratched up very much, I would start with 600 grit sand paper. Then 800, then 1000. Then a final wet sand with 1500. If you have a Harbor Freight near by, pick up a polishing kit that can be chucked up into a drill (I would recommend a corded drill). Start with a green rouge, then finish it off with a white rouge.
It is a TON of work, and a HUGE mess! But if you like shiny stuff, the results are very rewarding!
If you are a patient person, that doesn't mind a little elbow grease, I'd say go for it. But if you hate detailed, time consuming projects, then I'd recommend not even attempting it.

Hope this helps!

Well, I'm totally out then.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Me too Smile Smile

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
One thing that concerns me a bit about toilet cleaner is the amount of chlorides in it. I deal with stainless vessels at work, and chloride induced stress corrosion cracking can be a real problem. However, it may take longer term exposure than just cleaning. Not sure.

I would have to think this is long term exposure versus the couple minutes that you spray on the cleaner and rinse it off. Have done this for a few years with no side effects to the headers.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post