Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer 110v
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted
I've got a 2021 Vintage trailer. Last week I noticed my battery charger wasn't powering up. So, I switched the plug from the outside GFI outlets directly to the genset. Battery charger good.
No telling how long the GFIs haven't been working.

Here's what I've done so far:

The GFIs wouldn't reset. The originals looked a little "smokey " on the outside or they could just be dirty finger spots. So, I replaced them with new of the same brand and rating. Same outcome. I used a tester on old and new installed and it showed an open hot with both. I removed power from the trailer and tested the wire for continuity between the outlet wiring and the box. The wire is not broken and shows continuity. It appears though that the outside pit lights and the GFI outlets share the same circuit.

I'm lost. Any Ideas?

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Check for power at the breaker box. Maybe a wire is loose there.

Posts: 715 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Is this only on Generator power or also on power from your house/shop when connected?

Posts: 2430 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Is this only on Generator power or also on power from your house/shop when connected?

Both.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Since you said they are on the same circuit Just for the heck of it, disconnect your outside LED lights and see if that helps. I Know the ones I installed were bleeding a small amount of voltage to ground, it might be enough to trip your GFI plugs

Posts: 2430 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
No clue if I'm of any help here, but I ran into an issue with an LED taillight on my trailer. It kept blowing 2 different fuses in my trucks fuse box. the fuse for both taillights and the one for the left flasher. Replace the fuse and everything would be ok for about 10 minutes or so. After a day of troubleshooting the truck and trailer, I swapped out the trailer taillight associated with the fuse and seems to be cured. Given you mention your circuit is wired up into the outside LED's, I'd do as Big Steve mentioned and remove them from the circuit. Worth a shot. Good luck..

William Kilduff
1970 Barracuda
1968 Camaro X2
1968 Caprice
1964 F100

Posts: 109 | Location: Wilmington NC | Registered: June 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Does your trailer have a breaker box maybe a bad breaker or wire in there

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Also what size power cord do you plug into your trailer is it a 30 or 50 amp with a adapter to plug into house I’ve have gone thru multiple adapter they burn up inside

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I may be off base here and an electrician can answer. Is the neutral and ground tied together in your trailer panel? If so try separating them. Gfci sre looking for ground I believe

ep

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
I may be off base here and an electrician can answer. Is the neutral and ground tied together in your trailer panel? If so try separating them. Gfci sre looking for ground I believe

ep

That was the problem I had when I wired my trailer. I installed a breaker box and tied the neutral and grounds together. It all worked fine on my generator and my garage if I didn't plug into a GFCI outlet. Once I split them in th breaker box everything was good.
Possibly in your lights they tied the neutral and the ground somehow. Are the lights wired downstream from the GFCIs? Is there anything wired downstream from the GFCIs, you would have had more than 2 wires and ground. If so pull the GFCI and remove those wires and see what happens.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
The pit lights are not LEDs. Haven't changed them yet. Just sent an email to Vintage asking which circuit breaker they usually tie the GFCIs to.
I'll attack it again in the morning and separate all of the hot wires from the one I suspect may be the problem. Of the 8 circuits only four are 15Amp. That should limit my work some what.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I got tired of having to reset those stupid GFCI outlets whenever I got to the track. Changed the outside ones and no more issues. I left the ones in the living quarters.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
FWIW I didn't use any GFCI's on the outside outlets when I wired mine.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is what I had to do in the panel on my trailer.

Posts: 124 | Location: inside | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
FWIW I didn't use any GFCI's on the outside outlets when I wired mine.

Come to think of it, I didn't use GFCIs when I wired my last trailer either. I might think about that.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
Vintage sent back an email telling me which circuit they normally pair the curb side outlets on. Checking showed that to be correct.
I replaced the GFCIs with standard outlets and they work. There is another outlet upstream from the outside ones. I plan to install a GFCI there to see what happens.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a similar issue with my 2022 Vintage trailer. I'm able to reset my outside GFI's & they have only tripped a couple times. While I don't use my outside pit lights, I'll turn them on to see if I have the same issue.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2549 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Two things will cause a GFCI to trip/not reset. 1- outlet is wired backwards, line/black wire has to be on the gold screw and the line/white wire on the silver screw. 2- neutral/white wire is connected to the ground buss bar. It has to have a separate buss bar connected to all the other white wires, if it is connected to the ground the outlet will think there is a short and not work/reset. Ever since GFCI's come out I have run into the issue, especially in older homes that the neutral and ground were on common buss bars, cause there was no such thing as GFCI. The government got involved in it when idiots would drop their curling iron in the bathroom sink or their electric frying pan would fall into the kitchen sink, and the people would sue somebody. Thats when the regulation came out to have GFCI in the bathroom and kitchen areas or where there are other wet areas.

Posts: 297 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Get rid of the GFI outlets. Unless you ground the trailer with a ground rod when parked the GFI does nothing.
GFI are used to keep the RV and trailer manufactures away from litigation.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad News:
Get rid of the GFI outlets. Unless you ground the trailer with a ground rod when parked the GFI does nothing.
GFI are used to keep the RV and trailer manufactures away from litigation.

Absolutely not true. A GFCI simply measures the current on the hot and the return current of the neutral (white wire). When that has an imbalance it will trip. The trip threshold is 6mA or less. An equipment ground from the source is not required for this function and a ground rod will only dissipate transient voltages that are not part of the electrical equipment source.

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post