Bracket Talk
MSD Connector

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/3427023286

November 12, 2018, 10:01 AM
Joe C
MSD Connector
Anyone else have trouble with the green/purple wire connectors not always making good contact when plugging in the cable from the box to the pickup? Best solution?
November 12, 2018, 10:17 AM
Cashflow
I just change them to Weatherpack connectors.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......
November 12, 2018, 11:37 AM
markemark
Never a problem
November 12, 2018, 11:43 AM
TOP38
I use small zip ties to hold them together. Had one come apart in a burnout in the past,

Like the weatherpack connectors also but the tie wrap works.
November 12, 2018, 07:51 PM
SP 124X
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
I use small zip ties to hold them together. Had one come apart in a burnout in the past,

Like the weatherpack connectors also but the tie wrap works.

x2 on the zip ties. Thought about weatherpack but was worried about swapping out pickups in a rush.

Denis LeBlanc

November 12, 2018, 08:26 PM
markemark
^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS
November 12, 2018, 09:14 PM
Cashflow
Spare pickup has a Weatherpack on it.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......
November 19, 2018, 12:00 PM
MasRacing
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
I just change them to Weatherpack connectors.

X2 on this or better yet Deutsch connectors. As for spares as said above if you are doing this its good to have spares that have the connectors already on them or have extra connectors with you.

I have also done the wire tie deal which is effective as well.

I do all of the wiring for dirt modified team and they run nothing but deutsch connectors on all of their stuff. They also have spares ready to go with connectors as well though.

B.J. Masiello
November 20, 2018, 07:22 PM
Mike Beck
Deutsch connectors are awesome! I even bought the special crimping tool for them. Have not used a nicer connector. Pretty sure MSD sells them, got mine from Mouser.
November 27, 2018, 07:55 AM
Joe C
I am not sure anyone cares about updates, but it turns out the MSD connector was not the problem. I found a loose wire splice at another location. Plugging and unplugging the connector pulled on the wire just enough to cause it to disconnect itself at the splice. Thanks for all the suggestions.
November 27, 2018, 08:17 PM
markemark
quote:
Originally posted by Joe C:
I am not sure anyone cares about updates, but it turns out the MSD connector was not the problem. I found a loose wire splice at another location. Plugging and unplugging the connector pulled on the wire just enough to cause it to disconnect itself at the splice. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ok, I’m curious. Why would you need to splice into the ignition trigger signal?
November 28, 2018, 08:25 AM
Joe C
I did not do a very good job explaining what happened. The distributor connector wire with connector runs close enough to other wires that when I pulled on the connector it bumped the other wires just enough to "disturb" a connection of three other wires. I did not splice into the wire connected to the distributor. Your question is a good one after I reread my post.