DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Shifting on time
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shifting on time
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MGeorge:
I was thinking that would make it more consistent

If you want more consistent / acurate shifting on RPM, consider installing a crank trigger if you presently are using distributor trigger.

Posts: 2475 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
markemark…KNOWS!

Now for our resident regard…
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
A bunch of people have been #4, every year someone is #4.

A bunch of people have won Wally's, they hand em out like T-shirts nowadays)

They don’t hand them out, they are won and you aren’t amongst the bunch and never will be!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If you're a conservative you debate using evidence for logical conclusions.

If you're a libtard, you're triggered by the evidence.

13 final rounds on 21 entries beats all false notions saying shifting on time isn't consistent.

Fact.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Just more if your years of unsubstantiated claims aka LIES!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I like using a not so publicized method. A MATTY box built not in Mexico but built right in the USA. Ohio to be exact. NahNahTounge

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Just more if your years of unsubstantiated claims aka LIES!

Mongrel substantiates right here. He finished second, he would know.

Two of the top 3 below me substantiate it here.

There's no reason to lie about anything.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The deal with shifting on time is, you shift 6600 no matter what time of year it is, meaning you adjust the timer.

When you shift at 6600, if you get a little spin it'll shift higher than 6600.

If you have a car that speeds up a hun or two shifting late say 6750, you'll take a little bite out of the time you lost with the spin.

In other words the car adapts.

This box has a run replaywhen I got back to the trailer, before i'd get out I'd look at the data by replaying the race.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the comments I guess it's what works best for each person's setup

Posts: 30 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 19, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The next big thing in .015 total or better Super Pro bracket racing will 8.6 wide tread DOT street tires.

I'm working on it now. 6.40 113 mph 3200 lbs 23 sbc.... 100% homebrew.

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
EVERY single race car of mine has shifted/shifts on time for the last 20 years by choice. FAR more consistent than Rpm shifting. Proven time and time again (no pun intended). ESPECIALLY on marginal tracks.

Proven weekly, my cars will repeat with or better than any in the country with multiple different combinations of power.

Typically if the car loses anything up front it will recover some ET on time shifting, if RPM shifted it will always lose even MORE ET if traction troubles are encountered early in the run...years of observation involved here.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
Proven weekly, my cars will repeat with or better than any in the country with multiple different combinations of power.

years of observation involved here.

not better than mine and years here too.

Chris, what do the DiMino's and Tim M dragsters shift on? Answer RPM

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
EVERY single race car of mine has shifted/shifts on time for the last 20 years by choice. FAR more consistent than Rpm shifting. Proven time and time again (no pun intended). ESPECIALLY on marginal tracks.

Typically if the car loses anything up front it will recover some ET on time shifting, if RPM shifted it will always lose even MORE ET if traction troubles are encountered early in the run...years of observation involved here.

This guy knows. Must be a reason he wins while other talk about it. If you are looking for advice you will get lots. Hard part weeding out the bs.

Always listen to the folks who are winning and or those who advise but don't preach their way or wrong.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4197 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Talk about what you know, not what you think you know. There are many, that win more than Chris and they all shift on rpm. FYI, the guy that won the biggest bracket race in history then went on to win another $100k the next day in a different car was shifting on rpm. Further, we don’t race big $ traveling gambler races but if/when we do, I guarantee you my son will be one of the hitters.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Let your common sense be your BS guide, use your intuition.

Focus on WHAT is being said NOT who is saying it.

You'd have to be pretty damn low IQ to not comprehend the advantages of shifting on time, as it has been explained by two different people now.

Where is the explanation for advantages of shifting on rpm? ....??

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Then the Winningest bracket racers have a “pretty damn low IQ” and I’ll get nick hastings is too shifting on rpm.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then the Winningest bracket racers have a “pretty damn low IQ” and I’ll get nick hastings is too shifting on rpm.

Who?

Instead of monkey see, monkey do logic... explain the advantage.

You can't.

DRR / Crew Chief
Picture of RACER99O
posted Hide Post
Interesting topic to say the least.

I've always felt shifting on time was more consistent for the same reasons Chris states.

With my new cars (2020) I decided to give it another whirl with rpm. After mulling through the data and pulling my hair out from why my new cars weren't as good as my last (BUT I HAD MADE NUMBEROUS OTHER CHANGES ALSO), I put one back on time. Then reviewed the graphs and tickets.

Let's just say they're both back on time "FOR A REASON". They were much better instantly.

Take it for what it's worth. I don't win that much, but my cars are gooooood.

SL...

Posts: 662 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. kinda | Registered: January 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Scott, I think you really have to fuc up a dragster for it not to print tickets. it’s a different story with a door car, especially with a non tube chassis door car.

That said, both my cars are deadly and I’ll put them against any car in the county for consistently, same day, same track.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scott, I think you really have to fuc up a dragster for it not to print tickets. it’s a different story with a door car, especially with a non tube chassis door car.

That said, both my cars are deadly and I’ll put them against any car in the country for consistently, same day, same track.

I'm your Huckleberry shifting on time.

DRR / Crew Chief
Picture of RACER99O
posted Hide Post
Yup I can fuc one up fosho. But the best quote I've heard in a long time was a few weeks ago when a guy told me "I test stuff, I work on my stuff, You're cars don't get better by hooking a battery charger up to them."

oh... and I'll attest. I don't watch a lot of cars, but I watch Chris's. I learned a long time ago if you're gonna build 100k cars, you best learn to trust them.

SL...

Posts: 662 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. kinda | Registered: January 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post