New
Find
Notify
Tools

TBM Brakes
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Anyone have any real world experience with the TBM Brake Kits? Building a new car (Dragster) and looking at all options. Have ran Mark Williams for years on several other cars and not sure if there is anything better. Thanks. Kevin

Posts: 197 | Location: Corunna, Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I love mine. Calipers and pads are what im using……

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1518 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
MW was all I ever run till locking up issues…TBM on everything from now on

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I run TBM pads with MW Caliper and rotors and have been very happy

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Haven't talked to a single person who doesn't love them. Including my daughter Wink

Posts: 2110 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
Looks like you can adjust the rotor to caliper alignment with where you bolt the rotor on
Brilliance

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 253 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Looks like TBM and Mark Williams that both are same price.
The early TBM brakes I thought had one piece solid steel U shaped caliper frame that should be stronger and less flex than bolt together aluminum.
It appears these are now 2 piece aluminum like most of the others?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
Looks like TBM and Mark Williams that both are same price.
The early TBM brakes I thought had one piece solid steel U shaped caliper frame that should be stronger and less flex than bolt together aluminum.
It appears these are now 2 piece aluminum like most of the others?

Calipers and brackets are made from steel.

I really loved my old Lamb brakes but Roger refused to make a brake kit for my Santhuff struts, so I went with TBM. Working well.

My first experience with TBM was a number of years ago, back before they really got popular in drag racing. Customer supplied them for his rebuild. Car was completed, he went to a 1/4 mile event and ran 200 mph and his dual chutes came off the car and he still managed to stop his 3000+ lb car. Damn chute anchor was the only part of the build we didn't redo. lol

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of dragracer2757
posted Hide Post
We have ran their pads for several years with great success. New car on the jig table will have all of their hardware on this build.

Posts: 62 | Location: old hickory tn | Registered: December 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
posted Hide Post
Yes - adjustable alignment rotors.

Calipers are Aluminum with SS connectors. Nickel plated.

Caliper brackets are steel, but per Doug Cook will be going to aluminum with steel threaded inserts as I also recommended.

They also have a 1/2" rotor option for those who really like to ride the pedal.

Posts: 2110 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:

Ya got a part number for those pads Steve?

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Kelley:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:

Ya got a part number for those pads Steve?

Here ya go. Price is about $40 higher now since Motion bought them and they moved to Florida

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
posted Hide Post
They have a new pad we've went to on the dragsters.

6-0102W

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
They have a new pad we've went to on the dragsters.

6-0102W

Thats F3 #1 compound. Its been around several years

Posts: 122 | Location: Over here | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR / Crew
posted Hide Post
Correct - New might have been the wrong wording. They just didn't start out suggesting it for the dragsters.

SL...

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Those of you running the TBM brakes, what kind of pad life are you getting and which pad? I am mainly interested in the 1/8 mile bracket cars. My new to me car came with Wilwood calipers and rotors and I put carbon Lorraine pads on. I run an 1/8 mile track with shortish shutdown at 147-150 and used those pads up in 60-70 passes. Staging with them was fantastic and they stopped well, but at $300 every time you have to change pads it wouldn’t take long to pay for new better brakes.

Posts: 35 | Location: Gilmer, TX | Registered: October 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
posted Hide Post
Only ran the soft pads, burnt through them in about 150 passes, mostly 1/4 mile tracks going 160 1/8th but the 6-0102W is suppose to be way better.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
yes I'm finishing up mine as we speak.

Have had TBM rear on for a minute. Did the fronts the other day, haven't been to the track yet.

They are a little easier to set up than Aerospace in my opinion. Much better quality. TBM's customer service is top notch.

In my case, my car uses a version of the Pinto/Mustang II front end so that's the kit I had to get. The instructions that were sent with the kit sucked. Horrible. Basically says "install this part and then the next until you're done". Anyway I have been calling TBM's phone about a couple issues that I was unclear on and they were awesome to deal with. Even via email (with pics) they have been great. There is zero drag with this kit, front and rear. I use F2 on the rear and F1 on the front. The Aerospace calipers, they'd get stuck often and out of nowhere. They came off obviously, tired of dealing with em and their "customer service". I mean they answered the phone but had no answer to my issue with them sticking other than "you didn't properly shim them". Same answer every time (and mind you they were shimmed to within .001" of square which is way closer than you can get with their shim kit). As far as how they work, the TBM's work great. The do not grab hard initially but holding steady force on the pedal, you can feel them start to bite, then they bit harder and harder and harder the hotter they get. On a short shutdown I usually have to let up on the pedal a little. This is with just the rear TBM, and aerospace front. The aerospace front brakes typically needed a lot more pedal pressure because the pads kind of sucked (they were the original pads-from 2010!). I am footbraking and staging with the TBM brakes on the rear is much easier than it was with aerospace, they don't "grab" when cold so you can vary the pedal pressure such that it will just creep into the beam without it "jumping" into the beam. TBM pad life? Can't speak for it since I haven't put much time on them yet but so far so good.

Posts: 106 | Location: Il,IL | Registered: March 22, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
I worked closely with TBM on several occasions. One thing to be aware of is TBM brake kits require a much smaller bore master cylinder to achieve the proper caliper pressure.

For example my Lamb brakes Roger wanted a 2 1/8" bore MC.

On the TBM's they will likely tell you no bigger than 15/16" on a tandem MC and with me using dual singles, I'm using 3/4" bore.

The reason for this is the TBM caliper has a slightly larger piston compared to other manufacturers.

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
all manufacturers will tell you x size master cylinder. But in all actuality, it's a generality-not knowing what your pedal ratio is. That plays heavily into the bore size that you choose. A 7:1 pedal ratio might get away with 1" bore, if you have a 5.5:1 pedal, you might not appreciate a 1" bore-may have to drop to 3/4". OR change the pedal.

Personal preference kind of plays in too. That's something else that footbrake guys can do is mess with the braking system, helps "change" the reaction time a tiny bit; depending on the driver. It's a lot easier to change the car than it is to change the driver...

Posts: 106 | Location: Il,IL | Registered: March 22, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post