DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Older MSD timing light
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Older MSD timing light
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Question: Is it possible that, over time, those MSD lights become weak? Or do they either flash or not? At age 77, I expect my eyes to be as good as ever. Well, maybe not. When using the light outside, I can barely see the marks if they are well-defined.

Any comments? Is there a brighter light on the market?

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1860 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
No Larry , it's not your eyes. I have one that was never bright enough to see during daylight. I have an old Craftsman light that has always worked much better.

Bob

Posts: 3155 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
From time to time, I see the old Craftsman lights for sale. I may buy one as an experiment.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1860 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ive been very happy with my ESI 130 timing light.

https://www.esitest.com/P/42/1...tiveClampTimingLight

It was a good bit cheaper on Amazon.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 495 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
My old Craftsman is junk, you can barely see it. I always like to use same timing light because I think they may read a few degrees different but I am going to have to get something brighter.
MSD has one that is very bright, not sure what model it is.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
This is the one I bought a few years back, I wasn't disappointed.

https://proshop.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8992

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2698 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^ Don’t own that one but used it helping another in the sun. If I were buying one it’d be that one for sure. Don’t care that its 12v powered and high priced. I own an old 12v Craftsman that still works and think that MSD model is brighter.

Posts: 2610 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Vintage Craftsman lights are available on eBay, and many of them have seen very little use. I got one new in box with all the original papers a couple of years ago, and cheap. Works great.

EDIT: And I don't trust dial-back lights, I just bought the standard old Craftsman timing light. I put a fully degreed balancer on all my engines.

Mike

Posts: 1589 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
This is the one I bought a few years back, I wasn't disappointed.

https://proshop.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8992

2BKING
Relaxing

I used one of those on dyno and it was very bright. As far as working my Craftsman has always worked but it is not bright at all and seems to be getting worse.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all of you for the replies. I have ordered the new MSD light and will report the results soon.

Larry Woodfin

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention in my earlier post, the used Craftsman timing light cost me $15.00, I bought it at a swap meet.

Bob

Posts: 3155 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post