DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    632 Headhunter Combos
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

632 Headhunter Combos
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted
Looking for information on 632 with 395mc
brodix headhunter heads. Power achieved with what parts, fuel being used , single or dual carb etc. Also et’s @ what weight ? Thanks

David Lanning

Lanning Electric

Team Mickey Thompson

Posts: 4658 | Location: Coldwater,MI | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
Not exactly the same
632 383MC headhunters
06 Mullis 4 link @1975 w/driver
4:10 gear on gas 1250 APD
7.17 187 with 17X34X16 Hoosiers

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 253 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Reach out to Howie Smith, IIRC, his former 632 had 395MC heads and a single gas carb. That Race Tech car was destroyed in a trailer fire several years ago and though lite, ran 6.90s in the heat at Numidia which is the slowest track in division 1 due to it's 1000 foot elevation on the hill. That engine as well HOwie's current SR20 632 were built by Bill Maroun a local builder known as RPD Development

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98woaHiWQ3s

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammertime:
brodix headhunter heads. Power achieved with what parts, fuel being used , single or dual carb etc. Also et’s @ what weight ? Thanks

What are your goals? That combo is capable of making well over 1100 hp.

But given the fact that this combo requires specific pistons and rockers why not move up to an SR20 combo? Only makes sense to feed those cubes unless u have the heads now

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TOP38,

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:

What are your goals? That combo is capable of making well over 1100 hp.

But given the fact that this combo requires specific pistons and rockers why not move up to an SR20 combo? Only makes sense to feed those cubes unless u have the heads now

I have the engine parts currently to build this combo is the reason going towards this route.

David Lanning

Lanning Electric

Team Mickey Thompson

Posts: 4658 | Location: Coldwater,MI | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Ok. What’s your goal for this build?

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
632 with head hunter 395 mc. I think I mistyped on another headhunter thread and said 383. PAR cam. On gas with a single APD carb

Ran best of 4.51 at 1950ish pounds

Motor ran better on gas than alcohol carb or alcohol injection

Nothing significantly specially about our combo.

You should be able to make over 1100 hp without blinking an eye, but could hit over 1200hp with a single carb

Posts: 794 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’d like to go 4.4s low 50s with it on alky.

David Lanning

Lanning Electric

Team Mickey Thompson

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Others may disagree with me, but you’re gonna need to be below 1900 pounds in my opinion. We were about 0.04 to 0.07 slower on alcohol than gas.

Very doable with an aluminum block in a 4 link dragster.

Posts: 794 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
quote:
quote:

Others may disagree with me, but you’re gonna need to be below 1900 pounds in my opinion. We were about 0.04 to 0.07 slower on alcohol than gas.

Very doable with an aluminum block in a 4 link dragster.

I should be more specific in my original post. I am trying to get more info on these engines as I have one already together (Par built) ran it a dozen runs and must be missing something as it’s 5 slower then my steel block 598 3x engine. It ran high 50s low 60s at 1960lb on gas

David Lanning

Lanning Electric

Team Mickey Thompson

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

At what weight!

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

At what weight!

I’m have a new car built, haven’t decided on carbon or aluminum body/interior yet but it’ll 1875-1930 depending on them changes.

David Lanning

Lanning Electric

Team Mickey Thompson

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
632 with head hunter 395 mc. I think I mistyped on another headhunter thread and said 383. PAR cam. On gas with a single APD carb

Ran best of 4.51 at 1950ish pounds

Motor ran better on gas than alcohol carb or alcohol injection

Nothing significantly specially about our combo.

You should be able to make over 1100 hp without blinking an eye, but could hit over 1200hp with a single carb

The HH head is a good head but u won’t see 1200 anything with it using a single carb bracket motor! And at 1100 plus hp gas will be faster

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

At what weight!

I’m have a new car built, haven’t decided on carbon or aluminum body/interior yet but it’ll 1875-1930 depending on them changes.

At 1875 built right you have a decent chance but you will likely need an 1/8 mile setup to meaning 4.30 gears and smaller tires like the little bubbas to achieve those et’s

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

At what weight!

At 1875 built right you have a decent chance but you will likely need an 1/8 mile setup to meaning 4.30 gears and smaller tires like the little bubbas to achieve those et’s

That’s what my combo was and will be again on new car for tire/gear.

What about cam and intake ? Any advantage to tunnel ram (profiler) with single 1450 over a sv632 edelbrock with same carb ?

David Lanning

Lanning Electric

Team Mickey Thompson

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Considering that numerous engine builders are making upwards of 1300HP with SR/BRX20 degree headed 615/632 engines with a cast intake and a single dominator, it’s clear that not only is there no advantage, but they will make less power and/run slower on the track.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

At what weight!

What about cam and intake ? Any advantage to tunnel ram (profiler) with single 1450 over a sv632 edelbrock with same carb ?

A tunnel ram with one carb and one that is too small to start with is not a good combo. Use it with two carbs or stay with the SV632.
Cam wise you will need .950 to .975 lift on the intake side and .910 to .925 duration @ 50 286/308 to 310 15.5 to 16 compression your carb is on the small 6700 stall converter shift at 7700 and go through at 7700 plus
This should give you a good idea what it will take

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

At what weight!

A tunnel ram with one carb and one that is too small to start with is not a good combo. Use it with two carbs or stay with the SV632.
Cam wise you will need .950 to .975 lift on the intake side and .910 to .925 duration @ 50 286/308 to 310 15.5 to 16 compression your carb is on the small 6700 stall converter shift at 7700 and go through at 7700 plus
This should give you a good idea what it will take

So far it has all we are talking about but for whatever reason they built it with a 765 lift camshaft duration I feel is good just no lift. I planned to order a camshaft for it thinking it’s likely the limit of this deal.

Thanks for the input

David Lanning

Lanning Electric

Team Mickey Thompson

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Considering that numerous engine builders are making upwards of 1300HP with SR/BRX20 degree headed 615/632 engines with a cast intake and a single dominator, it’s clear that not only is there no advantage, but they will make less power and/run slower on the track.

Thanks Ed I have experience with sv632 vs tunnel ram on sr20 but they run up high better then I’d think this HH is capable of so not sure if it’d be apples to apples to compare the two. I’ll stick with the sv632 currently. Thanks

David Lanning

Lanning Electric

Team Mickey Thompson

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Great informative thread with tons of shared experience. Man I wish all DRR threads looked more like this.
Merry Christmas David, Ed and Top38

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post